Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Intel 8x0 AC97 Soundcard/-chip on IBM Thinkpad T30

Need help with peripherals or devices?
TheSorcerer

Intel 8x0 AC97 Soundcard/-chip on IBM Thinkpad T30

#1 Post by TheSorcerer »

Hoi!

I set up my Thinkpad to run with Debian lately running Blackbox as WM and the latest 2.6 Kernel.Everything is working fine for me so far except for the sound, which is causing some trouble.

I searched the internet and this forums for a solution, but nothing what I tried worked out.

I installed alsa-base and alsa-utils and run alsaconf thereafter, which found my soundcard well during the selection process, but started returning errors while installing it. Here's what alsoconf gave me:
amixer: Mixer attach hw:0 error: No such file or directory
[repeated a few rows]
done.
Setting default volumes...
Saving the mixer setup used for this in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1194: No soundcards found...
--
Now alsa is ready to use. (<- of course...)
Well... I don't really get any information about what went wrong out of this and my knowledge of linux is far to weak to have any idea where to look for the error source.

Another tidbit I found was suggesting to modify the /etc/modprobe.conf, because there was some issues with the 2.6 kernel and the soundchip from T30 notebooks... the problem is, there is no modprobe.conf in my /etc/ folder - and I dont really know what it does so I decided to not just mess around with it.

Whats a little strange, is that though my soundcard doesnt work with the software I tried it with (laby - a small rpg game and mpg321) it DOES produce a beep sound on my headset (not the PC speakers!) while pressing tabulator in the console if there is no filename to expand to.

I would really appreciate any help, that can be given to me.

Greets

Daniel

TheSorcerer

Solution Found!

#2 Post by TheSorcerer »

Hoi!

Though I cannot speak a single word Italian, this Threadfrom the Italian Debian User Group helped me to fix my problem.

The solution was as simple as
apt-get install udev
After running alsaconf once again no error messages occured and everything runs nice and smoothly - with sound :)

Greets

Daniel