Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sound card not working... must be simple.

Need help with peripherals or devices?
LinuxHawk

Sound card not working... must be simple.

#1 Post by LinuxHawk »

The current system I am using has had SuSE, Mepis, RedHat and they all detected the sound.

I liked Mepis the best and am making a commitment to Debian.
This forum has helped me with most all of my software issues.
Now I just need a nudge in the right direction to get the sound card working.

I cannot find how to make Debian try to detect it.

Any advice on where to look and what I should be doing?
What if any, information can I provide to assist?

Thanks in advance...

Michael Adams, New Port Richey, Florida, USA
May the Grace of Christ Jesus be with you.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Are you using kernel 2.6? If not, you really do want to upgrade from kernel 2.4. Kernel 2.6 *is* available in Sarge. The following directions will work with kernel 2.6 and will *not* work with kernel 2.4.

I'm using Etch; I *think* that the following commands are correct for Sarge. apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-oss. You will need a mixer. I'm not too impressed with alsamixergui. I prefer aumix-gtk. Then, as root, do alsaconf.

LinuxHawk

#3 Post by LinuxHawk »

I typed and found the following...

@debian:~$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.4.27-2-386 #1 Mon May 16 16:47:51 JST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

Looks like I am running 2.4.27 correct?

And if so... is there an apt-get update for moving to 2.6???

Again thanks...

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

apt-cache search kernel-image-2.6 should give you a list of available kernel images. If the list scrolls off the screen, try apt-cache search kernel-image-2.6 | less, use the up/down arrow keys to scroll and <esc> to get back to the prompt.

LinuxHawk

It does

#5 Post by LinuxHawk »

apt-cache search kernel-image-2.6 should give you a list of available kernel images. If the list scrolls off the screen, try apt-cache search kernel-image-2.6 | less, use the up/down arrow keys to scroll and <esc> to get back to the prompt.

It does and I am running an AMD 64

Should I do an apt-get install xxxxxxxx
or apt-get upgrade xxxxxxxxx ??????????

Thanks

Harold

#6 Post by Harold »

You periodically want to do apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. To install a specific package, do apt-get update && apt-get install package_name. Repositories are upgraded once per day, so it does no good to apt-get update more often than that.

AMD-64! Now I'm wondering... I don't think that there was/is an *official* 64-bit version of Sarge. You probably installed the i386 (32-bit) version. Installing the 64-bit kernel is probably not a good idea if you are running a 32-bit OS. I think that I would install kernel-image-2.6-k7.

LinuxHawk

Awesome...

#7 Post by LinuxHawk »

Now I am at: < Linux debian 2.6.8-2-386 >

When I rebooted the monitor was goofy, but then I rebooted and watched as there were 2 more choices to boot into.

The 2.6 kernel and the 2.6 kernel in recovery mode in addition to the 2.4 kernels.
I was about to boot into the 2.4 and see if it went back, but tried the 2.6 normal again and it worked great.

I tried about 8 more boot ups in Linux and Windows and all seems awesome.
Debian is really living up the the saying that you never have to re-install it. You can always fix it.