Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No system Architecture

Need help with peripherals or devices?
gar

No system Architecture

#1 Post by gar »

System: AMD 1100 MHz, IDE 1: 20G hard drive & DVD ROM, IDE 2: 1.2G swap drive & CD ROM, 256MB RAM. Installed: Fed Core 4 (hda2), Ubuntu 5 (hda3), Mandriva 2005/2 (hda5), and Debian Sarge (hda6).

At first Debian worked with 2.4 kernel, but after upgrading to 2.6 kernel I can't access CD drives, and the swap drive is not being used. I get a message "unknown filesystem iso9660" and in system monitor "no system architecture". Also, the modules are failing to load at boot. Is this a bootloader problem or a Debian problem?

At first, Fed Core was root, and Ubuntu was chainloaded onto it. When Mandriva was installed it took over root and installed its own unique bootlist, but Fed Core wouldn't boot from it. When Debian 2.6 was installed it took over root and wiped off all the other Linuxes (cause I didn't know the paths to them). So I reverted back to Mandriva's bootlist. Could Mandriva's idiosyncratic bootlist be the cause of Debian's no architecture problem? (Ubuntu also cannot access the CD drives, and no Linux is using the swap drive.) How can I fix this?

gar

#2 Post by gar »

Yep, this was a boot problem. Fixed it by manually listing all kernels on Fed Core 4 Grub menu list. Then reinstalled this list to MBR with the help of Grub Super Disk.