Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't get my DVD to work...

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ezuk

Can't get my DVD to work...

#1 Post by ezuk »

Hi All,

Been trying hard to get my DVD to work, but no luck. RTFMed for all I could, but no luck.

Look:

dmesg | grep 'DVD'
hdc: LITE-ON LTR-48246S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1912, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

(I'm trying to make the Toshiba work, the Lite-On is broken anyway)

ls -l /dev/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2004-09-24 01:29 /dev/dvd -> /dev/hdd

ls -l /dev/hdd
brwxrwxrwx 1 root disk 22, 64 2001-04-15 02:43 /dev/hdd

cat /dev/hdd
cat: /dev/hdd: No such device or address

So, it looks like it doesn't exist at all, even though it gets detected at boot. What gives? How can I make it work?

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

I'm not really sure, but don't you have SCSI emulation, do you?
Also, if the Lite-On is broken anyway, you won't need it, so try disconnect it, maybe the two drives can't work together (altough it would be odd, but I've seen drives like this).

#3 Post by Guest »

lacek wrote:I'm not really sure, but don't you have SCSI emulation, do you?
I don't think I do. How do I find out? /dev/sda etc all give the same message.

And I have a DVD in the drive, of course. And I installed oKle and Ogle and all the rest, and libdvdread and everything.
Also, if the Lite-On is broken anyway, you won't need it, so try disconnect it, maybe the two drives can't work together (altough it would be odd, but I've seen drives like this).
Yeah, I thought of that, I'll try to unplug it. Do you have any other ideas?[/quote]

ezuk

#4 Post by ezuk »

Well... I disconnected the Lite-On, and still no luck. :(

I get a "device or address doesn't exist" error, even with just a plain old CD in the drive.

Help??

hacman

#5 Post by hacman »

No need for the CD in the Drive. But which kernel version do you have?
2.4: You need the ide-scsi emulation only if you want to burn stuff
2.6: You don't need the emulation at all.

Other than that, are you sure you have CDROM Support compiled into your kernel? If you use one from Debian, you have it.

Might want to exchange the ide cables too, just to be on the safe side.

ezuk

Problem solved!

#6 Post by ezuk »

I managed to get it to work last night! :D

I recompiled my kernel (2.6.8 ) with scsi emulation, plus I suddenly realized I don't have LibDeCSS installed (doh! what a thing to overlook...).

I recompiled the kernel (it was custom in the first place) and installed LibDeCSS3 using the script which comes with libdvdread, and voila! Now I have DVD with sound! I then did the DMA trick with hdparm, and it runs nice and smooth, subtitles and sound and all.

Now I just have to figure out why the picture is too small even when I switch to fullscreen mode... It takes up only half the space. Very high resolution, but kind of tiny.