Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Determining if hardware is supported, or installing drivers

Need help with peripherals or devices?
spezticle

Determining if hardware is supported, or installing drivers

#1 Post by spezticle »

So, i'm kind of new to Linux, though i pick up ideas and concepts quick. Have played with many flavors of linux, but still aren't to educated on much of linux.

Anyway, to the point:
I kind of wrote a lot, with much explination. I'll summerize for you A.D.D. people like me :P
Dont know which video selection i should choose when installing linux, and dont know how i can reconfigure with new drivers. I have linux drivers for the video card.

If you have the attention span, read whats below, probably will help you understand moreso what my problems are.

ANY help at all, much appreciated.

Got a system with an nVidia Geforce MX400, AGP in it.
Bought a Debian DVD online. About 2 months or so ago.
Debian 3.1, 2 DVD's.

On a different system with an oldschool ATI 32MB card, i could install and run off of this DVD set, and X worked fine. Didn't properly identify my video card, but it still worked and i could run X.

This PC with the MX400, Debian installs completly fine, though detection of my USB mouse fails, and my video card also fails, but continues to install and finishes anyway.

Installation now done, system reboots, tries to automatically load X as normal, but fails, gives me an error saying "Video configuration wrong, reconfigure and try X again"

During video setup of installation, nVidia wasn't available to choose for video driver set. The rest in the list i could select from didn't seem to make much sense eather. VGA was one of them, havn't tried that yet, but i'm not feeling like re-installing linux 'again' unless i know for sure what settings i should do, because each time i try and fail, it's a waste of an hour of my time, hah.

Thanks for reading, thanks for the help,
Ben

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

"vesa" or "nv" would do the trick to have your X which you mentioned in another forum that you managed to get.

Anyways, let's get back to that other forum... "see you there".

Domecq