Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

scanner

Need help with peripherals or devices?
domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#16 Post by domecq »

mr,

I suggest you to remove the driver from Avasys you installed and try the procedure described by SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) project. That's the one I succesfully used to my, which is the same one originally posted (Mustek/Artec) here.

I also successfully configured it for a friend's scanner which happens to be the same as yours. He first tried the same Avasys and had difficulties as well.

If you want to give a try, read attentively these pages.

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON
(you will find that your scanner appears in a nice status).

From the above page, you will find your scanner and 2 links for it. They are:
1-man page for sane-plustek.5:
http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-plustek.5.html

2-Plustek Backend Page
http://www.gjaeger.de/scanner/plustek/

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers,

Domecq

mr

#17 Post by mr »

Ok I'l try that. But I'm sort of confused... are the files on those links suposed to be downloaded individualy, or are they part of the latest sane backends?

I'm thinking I'm suposed to download the latest sane frontend and backend, and do the ./configure, make, make install procedure to get my scanner up and running, is that right?

Harold

#18 Post by Harold »

You need to do apt-get install libsane sane xsane xsane-common. These are, respectively, the sane backend (which contains the driver for the Perfection 1250), the sane frontend, and the graphical interface to the sane frontend. These are binaries. There is nothing here for you to ./configure, make, make install. You don't need or want to install any software from any non-Debian source. If you have installed any other software since installing the Debian packages, you may have corrupted the Debian packages and you need to do apt-get install --reinstall libsane sane xsane xsane-common.

Do you have other USB devices connected to your computer and do they work correctly under Linux? If you have and they do, then we know that USB is working correctly on your computer. If you have and they do not, then we need to stop thinking of this as a scanner problem and start thinking of it as a USB problem. If this is the only USB device you have, then we need to treat this as a USB problem until we determine otherwise.

Edit 1: I missed a package. apt-get install sane-utils. This may be the magic package. It includes the executable /usr/bin/sane-find-scanner.
Last edited by Harold on 2006-01-04 05:33, edited 1 time in total.

mr

#19 Post by mr »

My mouse is usb and its working fine, so I guess it isn't a usb problem... though now that you mention it, my mouse did freeze when I was cheking the usb devices in kde's info center. I just click on the usb tab to show usb devices and the mouse stops working, and only by rebooting dose it start working again

I'm going to format and re-install debian to have a 100% clean system, I've been recently messing around with lots of non debian stuff.. so who knows...

Harold

#20 Post by Harold »

There are four Debian packages that you might want to look at: usbmgr, usbmount, usbutils, usbview. There is also a package named mdetect that is useful in helping your computer correctly recognize and configure mice.

Edit 1: Do not install usbmgr if you are using udev. udev is the more desirable package.

mr

#21 Post by mr »

Isn't installing just libsane (comes with sane-utils) and sane or libsane and xsane (comes with xsane-common) enough? I get two exact same sacning options in gimp but one from xsane and the other from sane

But anyhow, it still didn't work, xsane said no sacnner was found

About the usb realted packages you mentioned, I'm not sure what to install and I fear that installing any of those might conflict with whatever kde uses... which is probably something of very little use as kde is still freezing my mouse when I try to check for usb components in kde's info center, otherwise my mouse is working perfectly

mr

#22 Post by mr »

I tryed installing all the usb related packages and still zip... though while using usbview, the scanner did come up, but it was indicated in red letters, any idea why it would show up like that?

Also, xsane specifies the folowing reasons of why my sacnner wasan't detected:

01-there is no device supported by sane
02-supported device is busy
03-permissions for the device file do not allow you to use it-try as root
04-the backend is not loaded by sane (man sane-dll)
05-the backend is not configured correct (man sane-''backendname'')
06-possibly there is more than one sane version installed

I'm prety sure 01,02 and 06 are not the issue, but I don't know how to check my sacnner permissions or to know if the backends are configured correctly