Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Network Printing Question

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Ken Ryder

Network Printing Question

#1 Post by Ken Ryder »

Hi All,
For the past few days I have been trying to print to an HP-4600 LaserJet printer off a windows network with my Debian "sarge" machine. I'm able to browse the network using smb:\domain\ in konquerer, but when I use the add printer wizard in the peripherals section of Control Panel i get nowhere.

Basically in the add printer wizard:

I selected "SMB Shared Printer (Windows)" -->Next

I select "Normal Account" and enter my username and Password-->Next

I do a "Scan" and see my domain network.
When I expand the drill down menu I see "Server"
When I expand the "Server" drill down menu I see "4600 PCL"
I highlight "4600 PCL" -->Next

I select "HP Laserjet Series PCL 6" -->Next

I select "Test" and am prompted with an Authorization Dialog. I enter what I believe to be the appropriate user name and password and it comes back with an "Authorization Failed" message. The username and password I used are the same ones that allowed me to "see" the network with samba...

Any Ideas?
Thanks!
Ken

Ken Ryder

#2 Post by Ken Ryder »

No Takers?

Let me ask this question in a more generalized way - Is the basic concept of network printing the same in Linux as in windows?

Thanks!
Ken Ryder

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#3 Post by domecq »

Check this:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ws+printer

And you can find further information by using the Search feature. Suggestion: type windows printer or samba printer and select "search for all terms".
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (Gandhi)

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

Were you trying to set up the printer as a user? su to root, repeat the setup, and see if you get a different result.

Ken Ryder

#5 Post by Ken Ryder »

Thanks for the link domecq. I can make it to the "add printer wizard" but when I run through it I get nothing from the printer.

I choose "Samba Windows Network" -->NEXT and I click "Scan" within the wizard. I see all printers on the network. I proceed to select the appropriate printer "HP-4600" and choose the default "HP LASERJET PCL6" Printer driver.

The wizard asks me if I would like to print a test page and I click YES. I see a dialog box appear that says "Test Page Printed Successfully". The only problem is that nothing ever comes out of the printer...

I have tried pretty much every variation in wizard so I am stuck... Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help!
Ken

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#6 Post by domecq »

You could find info about drivers for HP-4600 at:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print ... erJet_4600

And, for further information on printing, check the main page:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (Gandhi)

#7 Post by Guest »

Hey domecq and all,
I'm finally able to print to another printer. [not the HP-4600] but a black and white HP-4000. I've been talking to the network admin and the plot has thickened so I have one last question.

Basically, my problem is that I cannot see the "CORRECT" HP-4600 LaserJet PCL printer which I'm trying to print to in linux. This printer is connected to the network via another computers parallel port [ghetto i know].

When i expand the machines drill down menu within windows I can see and print to the share, however, when I use the "print wizard" feature under the KDE control center I can see the computer but no shared printer...

I have samba installed and running, do I need to enable something to let me see this printer which is connected through the parallel port or download some sort of a package that would let me see this shared printer through another machines parallel port?

Thanks,
Ken