Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ATi drivers not working correctly with ATi Radeon 3200 HD

Need help with peripherals or devices?
khelben1979

ATi drivers not working correctly with ATi Radeon 3200 HD

#1 Post by khelben1979 »

Hello.

I have an ASUS laptop here which has inbuilt graphics of the type: ATi 3200 HD. It refuses to work correctly with the drivers from ATi.

What shall I do?

Currently I have manually edited the xorg.conf file and set the driver to use fglrx from ATi, but changed another setting to radeon in order to get working graphics.

I will attach my xorg.conf file in this post so it can be analyzed:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "se"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Device"
# Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
# Driver "fglrx"
Identifier "radeon"
# Driver "radeon"
Driver "fglrx"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Painwarlock

#2 Post by Painwarlock »

your lucky i dnt even have xorg working anymore bcus i followed a guide which screwed up my xerver

khelben1979

#3 Post by khelben1979 »

Before Debian Lenny I had installed Ubuntu on it and it could use the ATi drivers with 3D acceleration.

Any more suggestions?

I guess I need to compile my own Linux kernel in order to get the drivers working, is it the only way?

Mrbigshot08

#4 Post by Mrbigshot08 »

It is possible to get that card to work with the free xorg radeon driver. You are going to have to install from experimental and install the drm kernel modules. You need the xorg, xorg radeon, and mesa from experimental.

Anyway, read up on these links and see if you are still interested. Post back with anymore questions. Or you can just wait until this comes into unstable.

http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon

You can get some general information there.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

This is a thread where I helped another person do what you would have to do.
http://pulseaudio.org/
Registered User #444844
Debian Sid

khelben1979

#5 Post by khelben1979 »

2 days ago I got the ATi radeon driver working.

I just installed the driver from the ATi website and made sure to run the aticonfig with the correct parameter afterwards.

It seems to have done the trick. The 3D acceleration feels fast, but I'm still not sure if it uses the full acceleration of the driver, but I think so.

At the present I'm not sitting with the laptop, but I will get my hands on it again at a later time and test Doom 3 on it to see how it really performs.

alekz

#6 Post by alekz »

Do you remember the aticonfig parametters that you sent?
Last edited by alekz on 2009-02-03 03:18, edited 1 time in total.
Running: Testing
RSA Key ID (4096): 514F180C

alekz

#7 Post by alekz »

Hi! I'm just trying to enable the 3D support for my ATI 3200 HD integrated video card, I downloaded the driver ( https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/ ... x86_64.run ) and I ran it, it installed it but it didn't work, after restarting the X server I got a black screen, and when I tried to open another TTY ( CTRL + ALT + 1...) the system rebooted, so I let it go and same problem after trying to load the gdm. So I used the single-user mode to edit the xorg.conf and I changed the driver 'fglrx' for 'radeon', so now I can access to my graphic desktop, but I can't enable 3D support, here is my Xorg.0.log (I couldn't paste it here because is too long):

http://debian.pastebin.com/f3d5be381

I will also paste the xorg.conf generated by aticonfig:

Code: Select all

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
	Driver      "fglrx"
	BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Any idea to fix this issue? Thanks![/code]

BioTube

#8 Post by BioTube »

IIRC, you need to run aticonfig --initial(to be precise, I'm not sure about the parameters - but I'm positive about the program).
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

alekz

#9 Post by alekz »

BioTube wrote:IIRC, you need to run aticonfig --initial(to be precise, I'm not sure about the parameters - but I'm positive about the program).
Hey there! Yes, actually I tried

aticonfig --initial -f
According to the manual pages it says:

-f, --force
           Force aticonfig to generate default Monitor, Device and Screen sections even if the original configuration file has invalid settings in these sections. Only
           valid with the --initial option.
But that configuration is not working :(

khelben1979

#10 Post by khelben1979 »

From what I can remember I changed fglrx to ati to get everything working. Try it!

(I'll haveto get in touch with my brother to know for sure what I did...)

Eck

#11 Post by Eck »

The ati driver just uses the radeon, rage, radeonhd, whatever it detects, but doesn't offer 3D unless the fglrx driver is NOT installed. Then it'll offer 3D if your card is supported for 3D by the open source radeon or radeonhd driver.

By the way, if you've installed fglrx stuff, I've found that using anything else including upgrading to a newer fglrx needs me to reinstall all the stuff that appears with aptitude search mesa (the installed stuff like libgl1-mesa, libglu1-mesa, etc). So I do aptitude reinstall and give it the whole list. Then the new fglrx-driver package has the libgl stuff the package manager needs to create its links when invoking dpkg to configure it. Otherwise the install fails.

Not sure if the debian repo packages need that extra step. I've just switched to the Debian Lenny packages for fglrx since the newer Catalyst from ATI was freezing X on me too often. You don't even need module-assistant as long as you install the fglrx-modules-2.6-686 with fglrx-driver and fglrx-control. I did need aptitude in its gui mode to - (minus) the recommendation for fglrx-modules-2.6-486 and linux-image-2.6-486. Otherwise it installs those needless additional packages. But after that, just an aticonfig --initial got my stuff working fine.

I can get 3D just with the xorg radeon driver, but use fglrx for its newer openGL version needed for VMWare and Googleearth. Googleearth was crashing X for me with the latest Catalyst. Haven't tried it with Debian's version yet but my games and glxgears have stopped freezing X so I'm hopeful.

Your card is newer and so will need your keeping up with the latest experimental stuff until that all gets into Sid when the freeze is lifted.

Pretty soon you'll have less trouble. The Debian devs will get newer stuff into unstable so your life will be easier! :)
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

alekz

#12 Post by alekz »

Thanks Eck! Actually what I'm trying to get is the 3D support, so after reading your post I uninstalled the fglrx driver and then I reinstalled all the mesa packages, so what would be the next step to the the 3D support? Thanks!

Eck

#13 Post by Eck »

Depends which driver has more complete 3D support for your card. It would be nice if the open source radeonhd driver included with the xserver-xorg-video drivers was up to snuff in the version in Lenny, but from my brief encounters regarding it in reading forum posts it appears that it's something that first appears in the version in experimental.

Using the experimental driver appears to entail installing xserver-xorg-core and its associated dependencies from experimental, along with xserver-xorg-video-all and xserver-xorg-input-all and the libgl1-mesa, libglu1-mesa, mesa-common from expermental to get it to work properly.

I'm assuming a lot, since I use an older card that gives me a choice of using either the included open source radeon driver or the fglrx driver. Both give me 3D, but fglrx offers a newer version of openGL that is needed for VMWare Direct3D in XP guests and in GoogleEarth. It also solved some problems with my Nintendo64 emulator, Mupen64Plus.

It's probably easier to install fglrx-driver, fglrx-control, and fglrx-modules-2.6.26-1-686, run aticonfig --initial, reboot, and see if 3D is working.

I had problems with the latest drivers from the ATI website. I'd get some X freezing. So far the just previous older version that Debian Lenny has (the 8.12's I previously had installed from ATI but now are in Lenny) is giving me no trouble. 9.1 may have some improvements but if X is freezing what good are they?

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page

That website has a Debian section that includes both the Debian way and a few methods of installing the downloaded driver. If you have the driver build the package for you, you'll need to aptitude hold (and synaptic lock package) on the 3 packages it will want to update after you dpkg -i all the built ATI packages. But you can avoid all that with the Debian way if the 8.12 version in Lenny is good enough for you.

The Debian way is even easier now that the matching modules are pre-built to install for Lenny. No need to install fglrx-kernel-src or use module-assistant. Just install what I said in my previous post (fglrx-driver and fglrx-control), the fglrx-modules that match your kernel (mine was the 2.6.26-686 one), run aticonfig --initial, reboot and see what you get.

To get xorg.conf back to before aticonfig --initial changed it (like if you want to try the radeonhd from experimental), run dpkg-reconfigure --phigh xserver-xorg.

Hopefully one of these will work for you.

Eck

#14 Post by Eck »

http://forums.opensuse.org/applications ... -work.html

That thread I just hit on when browsing shows that the latest fglrx has done some faulty linking. Perhaps that's what was causing my difficulties, and why your 3D (openGL) was not responding with a presumably correctly installed Debian Lenny set of packages built by the ATI installer.

Still, probably the best for you will be to install the Debian Lenny repository fglrx packages that have the just previous version (8.12) that did not have this openGL file linkage bug.

alekz

#15 Post by alekz »

Thanks Eck!! Unfortunelly the fglrx-modules hasn't been released for amd64 yet, so I think I'll have to wait in order to make this work, or maybe I'll go and buy an nvidia card :P !

Eck

#16 Post by Eck »

Ah! amd64, eh? Well then couldn't module-assistant build the module for you after installing the fglrx-source package? You know, aptitude install module-assistant, build-essential, fglrx-driver, fglrx-control, fglrx-source, then m-a update, m-a prepare, m-a a-i fglrx. Then aptitude full-upgrade to fix up the incomplete configuration of fglrx-glx (a recommends that probably can't complete until after module-assistant does its thing. Then aticonfig --initial. Then reboot.

I'd think that fglrx should also work for the amd64 arch.

alekz

#17 Post by alekz »

Thanks Eck! Looks the driver is working but no 3D yet :( I'll get an nvidia card next week :)

tyk

#18 Post by tyk »

@Alekz,
this might be a little late but try it before you buy a new card.
Firstly, after installing the driver package from ati you need to run ati-config --initial only. Do not need to force it at the time. Then if X fails to start run it with -f parameter. If it still fails, you will find /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh and run it to remove fglrx. Of course, reboot at this time, and as root dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to get your defaults back. You can then try the ati installer again.
Hope this helps. Btw, in my xorg.conf it is
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
the only difference I can see. 3-D acceleration works fine for me. Am also on an amd64 system.

aeitos

Re: ATi drivers not working correctly with ATi Radeon 3200 HD

#19 Post by aeitos »

Hey guys, I was just directed over to this thread from a post I just made. I fairly new to Linux, pretty much a big learning project for me. My main concern is trying to get my video card working which is the same one this thread is about.

Unfortunately I don't know much about this or know what a xorg is or how to 'run the aticonfig with the correct parameter'.

I'm using a AMD Athlon X2 5050E Dual Core Processor(2) and ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics card and I can get 64Bit with 4GB of memory

Things have been choppy/freezing or not working at all when it comes to videos or games.

I have tried going to ati's website at http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx and downloaded the one that says "Linux x86_64/radeon/ATI Radeon HD 3XXX Series" but when I installed this, the next time i rebooted my computer, it would freeze half-way through the startup.

I had to format again. After I formated the computer and it was up and running again, I went back to ATI's website again and downloaded the driver once again and this time I found an advanced installation that gave me the option for Debian/lenny. After trying this I got an error message telling me it was the wrong architecture.

Here is some additional information on my computer and debian:

linux-headers-2.6.26-2-amd64 - Header files for Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64
(tried apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.26-2-amd64 and installed the driver again but it's still choppy... but atleast it didn't mess up my computer when I started it up)

Also did a "uname -a"
and it gave me "Linux Aeitos 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 27 04:02:59 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux"

I hope someone out there can help a novice in need :P I probably shouldn't be getting into stuff when I have no clue what im doing lol

aeitos

Re: ATi drivers not working correctly with ATi Radeon 3200 HD

#20 Post by aeitos »

Nevermind I got it figured out lol already had it fixed after i done that stuff with the header.. but i was testing my video by watching a video on youtube.. just found out that video had bad quality lol