Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

lenny finds to low a resolution

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Lou

#31 Post by Lou »

Lou wrote:and 'man xorg.conf' is worthless
Issyer wrote:Maybe for you. Are you the same Lou from Panama who used to frighten all the newbies all around?
Why don't you show everybody where in the "man xorg.conf" is the answer?

I'm the same Lou from Panama who wrote the howtos that many thank me for. One thing for sure, i never told anybody to RTFM, especially when there was no answer in it to help the newbie. All i ever did was to tell them the truth of what was waiting for them.

But this is not the point, is it? The point is that you refer newbies to RTFM, where they won't find jackshit, and why should they have to jump thru hoops when 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' should put an end to it?

This is precisely the kind of asinine comment from pseudo-geeks like you, they configure their X system automagically, and then, no knowing the answer to the problem, tell people to RTFM. No wonder the newbs get scared when i warn them this kind of stupidity is likely to happen.

Issyer wrote:There's also /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.
Take a template like the one below and make the changes you want.
As i mentioned before, I did thru google.com/linux, so you're no help, thank you very much.
Last edited by Lou on 2009-03-26 13:58, edited 2 times in total.

yellowdog

#32 Post by yellowdog »

debianuser01: the lshw gives me a command not found error.

I did find something under the kinfo menu. Under the PCI section I found a reference to a Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/XP (rev63) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem Hewlett-Packard Company Device 0018.

Is that helpful?

Issyer: The folder /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg on my system is huge! And everything in it appears to have something to do with keyboards. I didn't find anything in it that might have something to do with display or resolution. Are you sure this would be the correct folder to place display resolution information to get the laptop to operate it's display properly?

Issyer

#33 Post by Issyer »

Lou wrote: i never told anybody to RTFM, especially when there was no answer in it to help the newbie. All i ever did was to tell them the truth of what was waiting for them.
The truth is you are wailing like a baby. I don't care of newbies. They have Ubuntu baby-sitters. I feel comfortable with the xorg stuff and you or anyone in your situation will have to find their own way. Now call me a Nazi. :lol:

Issyer

#34 Post by Issyer »

yellowdog wrote: Are you sure this would be the correct folder to place display resolution information to get the laptop to operate it's display properly?
I'm pretty sure it contains a lot of text files with enough of samples of options for everything. I don't understand what problem you all are experiencing there. It is quite easy. All you need is to put some right sections. You can copy and paste from the example I posted already. Of course, you will have to know HorizSync and VertRefresh for your monitor and Display resolution, the biggest your monitor is capable to handle because xrandr will take care of the rest available.

And so on.

yellowdog

#35 Post by yellowdog »

Issyer,
Could you tell me how to get this Konsole to edit the xorg.conf? every time I try this: edit org.conf or I try kedit xorg.conf or I try edit .xorg.conf .... well I'm not getting anywhere. I'll get a warning: unknown mime-type for "xorg.conf" -- using "application/octet-stream" Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/octet-stream". Or I'll get a no protocol specified. Or I'll get a kedit: cannot connect to X server :0.0

Do you know what's going on?

Eck

#36 Post by Eck »

In kde:

kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In gnome:

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In terminal:

su -
editor /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(That opens nano or if you install the full vim then vim.)

Gotta use kdesu or gksu for GUI software (kate, kwrite, or gedit), whereas in a plain terminal you'd use the plain terminal based editors like nano or vim.

But you've got to get the root permissions one of those ways because this isn't your home folder. xorg.conf is a system text file and so needs root permissions to edit.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

yellowdog

#37 Post by yellowdog »

Thanks, it worked! Now I can get to editing

yellowdog

#38 Post by yellowdog »

Thank you Issyer. After a couple tries and near disasters, it worked! I now have a 15" display!! I was beginning to think I'd never have it again. Linux saved my laptop!

Lou

""

#39 Post by Lou »

Issyer wrote: The truth is you are wailing like a baby.
No, i'm not.
I'm calling you on the carpet to admit that you know nothing about the problem at hand. You hide behind the "RTFM" mantra and think that's enough. I think you do more to scare newbies from Debian with your actions that anyone else.

Issyer wrote:I don't care of newbies. They have Ubuntu baby-sitters. I feel comfortable with the xorg stuff and you or anyone in your situation will have to find their own way. Now call me a Nazi. :lol:
There you go, wasn't that easier to admit the truth? I would have respected the above statement than all this silly game you play to hide your ignorance.

debianuser01

#40 Post by debianuser01 »

yellowdog wrote:debianuser01: the lshw gives me a command not found error.
Then you must install lshw. This is very easy in Debian, open a terminal window, log in as root and copy/paste the following command:

Code: Select all

apt-get install lshw
Good luck. :)

debianuser01

#41 Post by debianuser01 »

yellowdog wrote:Thank you Issyer. After a couple tries and near disasters, it worked! I now have a 15" display!! I was beginning to think I'd never have it again. Linux saved my laptop!
Wow! Congratulations. :) Could you tell me (or us all) what you have in /etc/X11/xorg.config under the words: " Section "Device"" for your "Driver"? Is it VGA or Trident or someting else...

yellowdog

#42 Post by yellowdog »

Thanks Debianuser01, I put "Trident" as driver for video and 1024x728 and a few of the other things suggested by Issyer. After doing your latest apt-get I just discovered this laptop is a 1ghz. It's been sitting so long I forgot. This is one of those laptops that was shipped with defective Bios lock-out chips. It died 1 week after warranty expired a number of years ago and HP wanted $1300 to fix it. I gave them the finger! I had paid over $3k for it, had found out they knew the chips were defective before I had bought this one and they weren't going to repair it unless I paid them another small fortune. I managed to reset the chip but still can't access the bios and was able to install RedHat9, but even RH couldn't help with the wrong display size. Most apps over-ran the border as they weren't sized properly, so the laptop was sort of useless. W2k wouldn't work right either as it wanted the bios to be edited for something forgotten long-ago. So, I figured I had an expensive paper-weight or spare-parts for another project.

Now if I could just get this stupid scratch-pad to behave. Crossing the kicker to a menu causes un-expected events, windows will close or re-size, menu's will close, wrong menu items will get selected, etc... Drawing areas are a disaster!

debianuser01

#43 Post by debianuser01 »

[semi-off topic] Maybe your laptop is here: http://www.linuxonlaptops.com/

yellowdog

#44 Post by yellowdog »

I remember this site. It has my laptop with a RH7.2 install. That's why I bought the RH9 so I could get support from RH. The link linuxonlaptops has for my laptop right now gives me a forbidden 403 error. As it's years-old data, things have probably changed.

There were two models that were virtually the same. the pavillion n5470 was the same thing as one of the Omnibooks, I don't remember which #, too long ago.

Issyer

Re: ""

#45 Post by Issyer »

Lou wrote:
Issyer wrote: The truth is you are wailing like a baby.
No, i'm not.
I'm calling you on the carpet to admit that you know nothing about the problem
I don't talk to boors, bucko. Keep on smoking that grass wherever you live there.

Issyer

#46 Post by Issyer »

debianuser01 wrote: Could you tell me (or us all) what you have in /etc/X11/xorg.config under the words: " Section "Device"" for your "Driver"? Is it VGA or Trident or someting else...
nvidia
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... =15#219345

yellowdog

#47 Post by yellowdog »

I thought I had answered this question. However, since it has a lot of stuff to it, here's a screen snapshot. I used "DPMS" in the monitor section, have no idea as to what that is though.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "Trident"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-83
VertRefresh 56-75
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1024x728"
EndSubSection
EndSection

yellowdog

#48 Post by yellowdog »

You'll have no idea what a pita that was to get the scratch-pad to behave to get that

Issyer

#49 Post by Issyer »

yellowdog wrote: I used "DPMS" in the monitor section, have no idea as to what that is though.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DPMS.html

yellowdog

#50 Post by yellowdog »

thanks again.