Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

getting a network printer working

Need help with peripherals or devices?
viniosity

getting a network printer working

#1 Post by viniosity »

I have a brother 5070N which is currently connected to my network via Ethernet. It has an IP assigned of 192.168.1.190 and works well when printing from Mac OSX or Windows.

I would like to print to it from a debian box but am not sure how to go about it. I installed the gimp-print drivers but I didn't see the option to select any brother printers when I used localhost:631 to config via CUPS. Any suggestions? Am I missing a package or is there another way to set up internet printing besides cups?

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

You need to add a new printer to CUPS if you want to print. It (to my knowledge) won't "discover" any network printers.
Click on "do administration tasks", login as root, and click on "Add printer". After that, fill in the fields and you can print on that printer.

An other way to do the same is via the KDE control center (you need the "kdeprint" package to be installed). To do this, open Konqueror, and enter "print:/manager" to the location area (or start control center, and navigate to Peripherals->Printers).
Select CUPS as the printing system to use (on the bottom right), and click Add->Add printer/class, and you'll have a neat "Wizard" in which you can configure your printer.