Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't Get Connected to Internet on Laptop w/Ethernet Card

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ArchiMark

Can't Get Connected to Internet on Laptop w/Ethernet Card

#1 Post by ArchiMark »

Hope someone can please advise this Linux noob....can’t get connected to internet with ethernet card on my laptop.

Recently picked up a nice little svelte (3.6#) used Toshiba Dynabook SS (Japanese model). Pretty much the same as USA model Portege 3480CT from about 6 years ago or so.

Decided to install Debian on it using recent Debian CD and the Toshiba external CD drive.

Early into install process, got the message:

“Detecting hardware to find CD-ROM Drives...

2%.........

Loading module ‘yenta-socket’ for Toshiba America Info systems ToPIC95 PCI to Cardbus Bridge with ZV support.....”

At this point installer would just hang....so had to restart....

Had problems getting installer to work properly until I typed the following at the boot prompt:

linux pci=off

Then installer would get past this point and go onto next steps. Everything was OK until the step for configuring my ethernet card; a D-Link DFE-690TXD. I tried selecting different cards (chipsets?) listed but not of them were recognized by installer.

Eventually, I gave up on that task and went onto installing rest of Debian. Thought I’d be able to get card working later.

Rest of install went OK I think and I’m able to boot up Debian (Sarge 2.4.x) and login....

I have gotten card to work and get connected to internet in WinXP on this laptop, so I know that it works.

Since I installed with 'pci=off', I did the following to turn it back on:

I'm using grub, so I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Did that and rebooted and now my card indicator lights light up!

Did 'cardctl ident' and got:

Socket 0:
product info: "D-Link", "DFE690TXD", "PC Card"
manfid: 0x0149, 0x0000
function: 6 (network)

What do I do now to set up my connection to my network and test to see if I can get online?

I have DSL connection which is connected by CAT5 cable to AirPort Base Station and Asante FriendlyNet Ethernet Hub. So I can either connect with wifi cards or ethernet card and CAT5 cables. My new laptop just has the ethernet card described above in it.

Or did I screw up my Debian install too much and should I just reinstall Debian? If so, how do you reinstall?

Thanks for any and all help. It’s greatly appreciated!

Mark
Silicon Valley Linux Noob

lestoil

toshiba portege nic

#2 Post by lestoil »

What type of nic-pci,usb,pcmcia? Compare your present kernel with the sarge 2.6.8 (or more recent) kernel support of said card. Then google sarge and that card for more help.
If you can boot to desktop and everything else is ok then install should be fine. May just need fine tuning. Good luck.

ArchiMark

#3 Post by ArchiMark »

Thanks, lestoil.

Decided to try re-installing Debian.....just used 'acpi=off' this time and voila!

For whatever reason this time it worked OK and now I am connected to internet!

Mark
Silicon Valley Linux Noob