Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Sarge] Can't burn any cd's

Need help with peripherals or devices?
kryptos

[Sarge] Can't burn any cd's

#1 Post by kryptos »

I have a box with Sarge installed and everything works...until I want to burn cd's. K3b starts saying he can't find things and that I should use TAO and that the burning speed is wrong. I apt-getted almost every burning programs in testing/main ,but nothing worked. And the strang thing is that when I tried Knoppix (debian based) the darn burner did burn cd's :evil:
Does anyone have a clue what I should do in order to make the thing work?
Debian, I'm apt-getting into it.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

I have a clue: you need some kind of kernel support. Other than that... I don't know.

kryptos

#3 Post by kryptos »

Well thanks anyway, do you know what kernel module or what kind of kernel support I have to compile?
Debian, I'm apt-getting into it.

Weaver

#4 Post by Weaver »

Why don't you take your time, and read through this very carefully.
You should already have mkisofs and cdrecord installed, because the KDE frontend would have probably pulled them in as dependencies.

See if you can do it all from a terminal instead.
It's not as hard as it looks.
Just take your time, and understand what you are doing before you do it.
My other computer is your Windows box.

Weaver

#5 Post by Weaver »

Perhaps if I gave you the link, it would be a lot easier.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/l ... dburn.html
My other computer is your Windows box.

buster

#6 Post by buster »

Thanks for your help Weaver, but other Debian clones and Suse, Mandrake, Fedora etc have a nice gui interface on the easiest burning software around - K3b. I too would like to get K3b to work, but it freezes during K3b Setup. I would prefer to use what I'm used to. Any advice here would be appreciated.

buster

#7 Post by buster »

Kryptos, I just solved my K3b problem by logging out and into root (You may have to play with the login properties to do this. Click on 'actions' if you can't and you will see the change to make.) While in root I called up K3b, was told what to download, and I went through setup and options and got it going nicely. Then I logged out of root, back into user, and repeated the process. Everything seems to work now. Good luck.