Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Framebuffer not active...

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Oracle

Framebuffer not active...

#1 Post by Oracle »

Hi everyone...

A little question this time... I've got a GeForce4 440MX, but I can't use the framebuffer. At boot, vesafb fails to load with an error -6, but it's still shown in lsmod. When I installed, there was no colored screen at boot from the Sarge Installer CD, and some say that there must be a little pinguin on top of the screen during the boot sequence, but not on my computer. I remember, when I installed Sarge on my other computer, equiped with a Riva TNT2 card, the pre-install screen was visible.

So, is there any pinguin at boot ? Why can't I see it ? Is it a bug of vesafb with nVidia cards ? Does anyone experience the same problem ?

I must say that I tried to boot with the Gentoo 2004.2 CD, and the framebuffer worked correctly.

So, is it planned to solve this potential bug ? And is it planned to make a beautiful boot sequence with a framebuffer just like Gentoo ? (I think that Debian is to monochromatic, a cool framebuffer and a colored boot sequence and shell would be great.)

Thanx for reading.

yanik

#2 Post by yanik »

take a look at this page, makes debian very sexy :)

http://debblue.debian.net/

Oracle

#3 Post by Oracle »

The problem isn't that I don't know how to use splashscreens, framebuffer's pictures... but it doesn't work because of a possible bug in vesafb.ko

#4 Post by Guest »

yeah, I've read that too. I hope this will get fixed for 2.6.10. If you're into it, you can always compile your own kernel with the vesafb from the kernel source from kernel.org. It seems this is the fix. But for now, a nice grub and gdm theme is already better than nothing :)