Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

CPU fan isn't working [solved]

Need help with peripherals or devices?
poch

CPU fan isn't working [solved]

#1 Post by poch »

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 7720Z, and running Debian Squeeze/Sid.
My problem is the cpu fan is not working, and I don't have a clue how to solve the problem.
When the CPU temperature becomes too high, the laptop stops, so it's very annoying. I can't compile anything, or run an "heavy" software.

The fan is working, just after the boot before grub menu or under Windows Vista there is no problem so that is not a hardware problem.

I've installed lm-sensors, the output is

Code: Select all

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:       +40.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C)                  

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +68.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)  

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1:      +68.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)  
, as you can see nothing related to the fan.

The pwmconfig is not working, output is

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
The temperature in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ01/temperature is always 0 or 40°C.

Do you have any possible solution?

Thanks in advance

P.
Last edited by poch on 2010-04-03 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

Re: CPU fan isn't working

#2 Post by Bulkley »

poch wrote:The fan is working, just after the boot before grub menu or under Windows Vista there is no problem so that is not a hardware problem.
Don't bet on it. A sticking fan can drive you nuts. It stops - you turn the machine over to look at it and it works, etc. I would start this with a new fan. It is cheaper than some of the alternatives.

hameau

#3 Post by hameau »

Acer Aspires seem to suffer from many fan control issues, even with Windows. On machines that I have first-hand experience of, the fan control is handled by an additional Acer utility; installing a different version of Windows breaks fan control there, too.

Check for availability of a BIOS update first.

There is a script for fixing this on Acers running 64-bit Linux (originally submitted on the kernel bug tracker, I think). Try Googling for "acer_fancontrol" (with quotes) – there may be something in the various forum posts to point you in the right direction.

If you do get it working, check for proper fan operation after resuming from sleep or hibernate – that caught me out on one machine.
Nick.

poch

#4 Post by poch »

hameau wrote:Acer Aspires seem to suffer from many fan control issues, even with Windows. On machines that I have first-hand experience of, the fan control is handled by an additional Acer utility; installing a different version of Windows breaks fan control there, too.

Check for availability of a BIOS update first.

There is a script for fixing this on Acers running 64-bit Linux (originally submitted on the kernel bug tracker, I think). Try Googling for "acer_fancontrol" (with quotes) – there may be something in the various forum posts to point you in the right direction.

If you do get it working, check for proper fan operation after resuming from sleep or hibernate – that caught me out on one machine.
Ok it seems to work... Actually, I found the thread about fan issue in the kernel bug tracker this morning, but didn't see the script attached :oops:

So the script appears to work as well for 32 bits Linux, I can see the temperature going down when the fan starts...

Thanks for the response.

P.