Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Changing monitor without damage the new

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Jesse

Changing monitor without damage the new

#1 Post by Jesse »

I am a total Debian/Linux newbee, I have bought a new screen (Samsung 213T) and want to install it in my Debian system
I am a bit worried that my old settings (horizontal/vertical) can damage the new monitor. How shall I
1. start Debian without starting X
2. Configure X with the new settings... (Let me guess, some apt- command and some package, but which).

Jesse

more..

#2 Post by Jesse »

Sorry... I forgot to tell you that I run Debian SID /Gnome

Wolven

#3 Post by Wolven »

The command you are looking for is:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Jesse

How do I avoid starting X?

#4 Post by Jesse »

How do I avoid starting X?

Wolven

#5 Post by Wolven »

I honestly don't know. If it was Gentoo you where running I could tell you, but I'm still fairly new to Debian, so I don't know the Debian way.
I did a quick Google search on the subject, but I couldn't find anything.

What you can do is, as root. Type in a terminal:

killall gdm
(This will kill/stop X and it will not start again before you as root type: gdm )
When X is killed you can run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to set your sync values and then start X again after you switch monitor.

AdrianTM

#6 Post by AdrianTM »

To stop GDM from loading you have to remove it from the runlevel or to start to a different runlevel that doesn't have the gdm entry.

update-rc.d gdm remove
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#7 Post by Jeroen »

And starting/stopping services in debian is always /etc/init.d/<package> {start|stop|restart|reload}

so /etc/init.d/gdm stop kills it. and /etc/init.d/gdm start will start it again.

You shouldn't invoke services manually as then you'll skip the maintainer script maybe setting up all kind of stuff for you.

tlyons

SID?

#8 Post by tlyons »

First of all, if you're a newbie, it's just insane to be running SID. "Upgrade" your dist to the "testing" version and you'll have fewer problems.

Now...
1. Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login as root from the text console.
2. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
3. When you get to the monitor config, you can either specify exact monitor frequencies with the "Advanced" setting or (I recommend) just specify the resolution and refresh rate you want X to use with the Normal settings control.
4. Save and logout
5. Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to the GUI login
6. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart X with the new settings

Assuming you picked a resolution and refresh that works with your card/monitor, you should see the login box.

- T.
.:. Linux User #75719 .:. Get counted .:.