Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Broadcom 4313 Firmware not loading

Need help with peripherals or devices?
kanazky

Broadcom 4313 Firmware not loading

#1 Post by kanazky »

Code: Select all

05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
Methods Tried

First Attempt

http://wiki.debian.org/wl

Nothing happens when I try either of these commands:

# modprobe -r b44 b43 b43legacy ssb brcm80211
# modprobe wl

and This one fails:
# iwconfig
Then Tried:

http://wiki.debian.org/brcm80211

When I got to:

# modprobe -r brcm80211 ; modprobe brcm80211
(nothing happens just sits blank again)

and
# iwconfig (fails)
Any Advice?

kedaha

Re: Broadcom 4313 Firmware not loading

#2 Post by kedaha »

I think you need to install b43-fwcutter which is a utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware.
Please see http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx.
You may also find this topic helpful.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

quiritius

#3 Post by quiritius »

kanazky wrote:

05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
Any Advice?
I have this card

0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)
The method described at http://wiki.debian.org/wl is working perfectly, but I need to restart my system to get my wireless to work.

I, however, use the latest STA driver from Broadcom site. Main, if not the only reason for this being that after certain system updates wireless needs to be re-compiled for some reason and I am not always able to detect such a case risking to end up without a net access and a clean apt cache. So I removed all "debian way" broadcom-* packages, downloaded the latest driver here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php and followed the Broadcom instructions. The wireless did not work for me until I place into

/etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta.conf
the following:

blacklist b44
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist b43
blacklist ssb
blacklist brcm80211
install wl /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install wl $CMDLINE_OPTS
and restarted.

Another option for me would be to save somewhere the file /var/cache/apt/broadcom-sta-source_5.60.48.36-2_all.deb and copy it back into the apt cache whenever my wireless driver stops working (after update) and there is no cable available to do

#m-a a-i -f broadcom-source
Hope this helps.

ramack

#4 Post by ramack »

I fired up my Dell Vostro 1000 (Testing) yesterday, the first time in several months, then ran a dist-upgrade. I was expecting the wireless to break since a new kernel and many broadcom* packages were upgrade in the process. It did break, so after figuring out the problem I had the last time I had issues with my wireless and how I resolved them it was up and running without problems.

My wireless card:
05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)

Earlier this year I already had the required packages install:

sudo apt-get install module-assistant broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source wireless-tools wpasupplicant
How I fixed the wireless:

sudo module-assistant prepare broadcom-sta
 sudo module-assistant auto-install broadcom-sta
I had to reboot for the wireless light to turn on. Once on, I could toggle it off/on.

When I was initially having trouble with ndiswrapper after a kernel upgrade, I found this thread and this thread to be very helpful in getting my wireless working again. Pay attention to what may need blacklisting.
homemade AMD64, Acer AspireOne 150, Asus eeePC 900, i386; Testing
i386,Dell Vostro 1000 AMD64, Dell Inspiron 1100; Sid
XFCE on all.

ramack

#5 Post by ramack »

New kernel headers came out today, at least for Testing. The wireless didn't break, but it was super super slow. I decided [since it was still fresh, ha] to run through the steps.

Lightning fast now. I think faster than yesterday. I should have run a speed test on my connection, but I didn't think about it until now.

Rich
homemade AMD64, Acer AspireOne 150, Asus eeePC 900, i386; Testing
i386,Dell Vostro 1000 AMD64, Dell Inspiron 1100; Sid
XFCE on all.