Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

3D problem for tuxracer

Need help with peripherals or devices?
buster

3D problem for tuxracer

#1 Post by buster »

I had quite a problem with my monitor resolution and ended up with vesa drivers for my video card, instead of ati rage128. I can't play tuxracer with my grandchildren because I can't figure out how to enable 3D. Is there an easy way to do this? ( 3D works in Debian clones, Mandrake, Suse, Fedora etc, but it is time for me to mature and use pure Debian. :D ) Any help appreciated.

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

To my knowledge, the VESA driver doesn't have 3D acceleration, so if you use the VESA driver, you won't be able to use 3D.
You have to figure out how to use the ATI driver with your card in order to be able to play tuxracer.

buster

#3 Post by buster »

Thanks lacek. I figured that would be necessary. My problem is when I work through dpkg-reconfigure to change my xserver, I only seem to get a choice to select ati as a driver, instead of rage128, which is the driver for my ati video card. And this generic ati driver wont allow me to go above 800x600. (i tried modifying the config file with kate and couldn't startx.) So as a compromise I've given up, reluctantly, 3D, to get 1024 resolution with vesa drivers. There should be an easy way to get the correct drivers. But I don't know it.