Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Notebook + external mouse doesn't work

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Zwlokii

Notebook + external mouse doesn't work

#1 Post by Zwlokii »

Please help!
I'm really pissed off, so please, forgive my English - I've got no time to check the spelling.
I have a notebook (Compaq 732US if it matters). It has a Synaptics Touchpad built in, but I prefer to use an external mouse on PS/2. What am I saying! I just HATE this bloody touchpad and I'd really love to see it dying in the most agonic agony.
Two days ago I installed Debian from Sarge CD. Standard installation + graphical environment. The external mouse doesn't work. X sees only this shitty touchpad.
Yes, I've tried to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. No results. There are two InputDevice blocks (Configured Mouse (/dev/psaux) and Generic Mouse(/dev/input/mice)) - none of them seems to be the external one, I've checked it.
Yes, I tried to find something on forums like this one, but of course - no results. People have more luck than me, because there are millions of solutions on internet forums, but not single one works for me, of f#$*&# course.
I had Mandrake and I changed it for Debian ('cause I had Knoppix for an hour and there was no problem) just to have my external mouse working and the story comes back. I'm really sick and tired of it.

Can anybody help me? PLEASE!!!

Zwlokii

Mhm

#2 Post by Zwlokii »

Debian forum.
Yeah, right.

schmiel

#3 Post by schmiel »

//offtopic
Relax man.... don't expect an answer in 30 minutes...
The more impatient you are the less people might want to help you I guess...

//ontopic
- Do you have an USB or PS2 mouse?
- Do you have USB/PS2 enabled in the BIOS of your laptop?
- Did you configured your XFree86 config well?

sprucio

#4 Post by sprucio »

Can you post your /etc/X11/XF86Config file using the quote tags?