Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

kernal source and video drivers

Need help with peripherals or devices?
aaron

kernal source and video drivers

#1 Post by aaron »

Hello, currently I have bee working at this problem for 15 hours strait... all night, for I am a totall newbie at linux/debian and installing video drivers. Well, my problem is I can't figure out where to get the kernal source for the nvidia display driver to use. I've been to kernal.org but I don't know what to download and even if I did I wouldn't know what to do with it. I'm using kernal 2.6.8-1-386 can anyone help me?

sprucio

#2 Post by sprucio »

Do you have an nVidia card? For now, you can just use the "nv" driver in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file to load the basic graphics. Later on, if you decide to use a proprietary driver from nVidia, that'll be a different setup.

aaron

#3 Post by aaron »

I origionally used the nv drivers during x windows setup but was unable to load gdm so I had to switch to the vesa drivers. Right now I'm trying to get NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run to work but it says I need the kernal source, or kernal headers I don't know what either of them are, I noticed you could pick up kernal headers for the 2.4 kernal using synaptic, but nothing for kernal 2.6.8-1-386

sprucio

#4 Post by sprucio »

Did you try apt-get update and then apt-cache search kernel-headers | grep 2.6.8?

I found this package on Debian's repository.

http://packages.debian.org/testing/deve ... s-2.6.8-10

aaron

#5 Post by aaron »

I'll try that right now

aaron

#6 Post by aaron »

how did you guys install the drivers for your nvidia cards?

aaron

#7 Post by aaron »

well when I try apt-get install kernal-source-2.6.8 I get E:couldn't find package kernal-source-2.6.8

aaron

#8 Post by aaron »

when I try apt-cache search kernel-headers | grep 2.6.8? nothing happens and I go back to the command line

sprucio

#9 Post by sprucio »

# apt-get update
# apt-cache search kernel-headers | grep 2.6
That should give you a whole bunch.