Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

CDRom/Floppy

Need help with peripherals or devices?
tenlientl

CDRom/Floppy

#1 Post by tenlientl »

Hello guys. New to Debian, new to Linux as well. I have Debian on my 36gig hard drive using Knoppix Live CD install. I have XP on my 200gig.

Anyways. Debian won't let me use my cdrom and floppy. It says it's their(probably a normal thing). It says there's no /mnt/cdrom(or /dev/cdrom, forgot. I'm on XP, can't check).

I got network card and such working on Debian though. Any help?

Also.. I hear people installing games and such on a Linux OS. How's that possible? Doesn't Windows only get to use .exe files? Is their a way to do this? Thanks

I'm also on an amd 2500, 512 ram if that info is needed. it's also a lg gsa 4040b dvdrw. floppy, no clue. it's very old, lol

pigah

#2 Post by pigah »

the default for mounting in debian is now /media/cdrom /media/floppy.

open up the file /etc/fstab and it should have a line:

Code: Select all

/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
if it does (or it says /mnt/cdrom0 instead) then do an

ls /media 
(or /mnt if the fstab had mnt)

if the folder does not exist, create it by

mkdir /media/cdrom0

Terje

#3 Post by Terje »

And for the games part:

There's a program called Cedega(follow up of WineX) that allows you to run games and other windows applications. It's a paying program though. You can find it here.

You can also install Wine(apt-get install wine) in stead to run some windows programs, this is free. But then again it won't support installing/running games since it doesn't support that.
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

#4 Post by Guest »

When I go /etc/fstab it says access denied.
Another thing. Is their a way to edit /etc/lilo.conf? I tried but it also says access denied(not thoruhg terminal or anything). It has a lock icon on it.

pigah

#5 Post by pigah »

Something doesn't sound right with your permissions. The permissions control who can read, write and execute certain files. As a normal user you should be able to read these files. Try becoming superuser. First try

su 
if that doesn't work, just log in as root.

#6 Post by Guest »

I tried logging in as root. Instead of using my account username, i change it to root but it says I can't login as root.

Another problem. I've tried to fix my cdrom with the help I got here. Still doesn't work.

pigah

#7 Post by pigah »

You're going to have some problems doing anything on this system if you do not have the root password. Did you ever have to create one in the installation? You should have. If you cannot find that password, you may just want to reinstall and make sure you remember the root password.

#8 Post by Guest »

I got the root password now. I mean. I can use the root shell.. But I can't login as root for like.. u know how windows xp have that "enter username/password" thingy when it starts up. I can't login as root with that.

pigah

#9 Post by pigah »

ok, that is normal. it is the default to not let root start up in X. so can you mount the floppy/cdrom in the root shell?

#10 Post by Guest »

No. I've tried what you told me before. I've also tried some other stuff, it won't work.

pigah

#11 Post by pigah »

ok, how about as root try the following.

mkdir /media
mkdir /media/cdrom
mount -t auto /dev/hdc /media/cdrom
mkdir /media/floppy
mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /media/floppy

#12 Post by Guest »

It doesn't work :(. I'll keep trying other stuff. If it still doesn't work... I might have to try Red Hat instead. Isn't that better?

pigah

#13 Post by pigah »

where does it not work? at the mount stage? what does the shell say when it doesn't work?

redhat may be easier for your first install, but there is certainly a pleasure in debian. i won't be the one to go through all the details.

if you want to continue with debian, i would suggest that you try a new install of debian (not knoppix). i tried the knoppix install once and found it more trouble than the graphical interface was worth.