Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't get a simple parallel printer to install in sarge.

Need help with peripherals or devices?
naelr

Can't get a simple parallel printer to install in sarge.

#1 Post by naelr »

I have tried just about everything I can think of to get this printer to work. It is a HP laserjet 1100 parallel printer. Cups sets it right up and says hey there the printer is and here are the drivers... but nothing comes out with test page or using any programs. I have tried printtool and it says right there it is on /dev/lp0 but nothing printers and nothing comes out from any programs... I can cat a file to /dev/lp0 and stuff comes out of the printer.. but I can't cat everything in the world that I want to print... I am using Sarge and it is a fresh install... don't suppose anyone has had the same problem? I can give you any info you need just out of options... I can't even get the stupid thing to connect to a windows share on my network. If I use the SMB/CIFS I can print to the windows share so long as in what ever program I want I print to a file and then use SMB/CIFS to send that file to the windows share. I changed from RedHat 9 to debian because they quit updating RedHat and I never had problems like this with them... Where is the superior power of Debian? Stupid RedHat moved to that damn Fedora crap... I just wanna print... someone please help...

Naelr

#2 Post by Guest »

Does anyone even read these forums?

naelr

#3 Post by naelr »

I dunno... I guess not.

tim

#4 Post by tim »

Your printer should work with debian, but you need to install a special driver called hplip. Check out this web site for instructions:

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

The instructions for installing the driver are very clear. Before installing hplip, you have to install a few other packages, which the web site will guide you through. It's especially easy with debian, because you can apt-get all the necessary packages. I had to install hplip to get my printer to work (an HP OfficeJet multifunction). Post back here if you run into any problems. But according to the hplip web site, your printer is supported.

Tim
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

naelr

#5 Post by naelr »

Thanks I can now print to both my local and network printers... (they are both the same) I apprecite the help, the website needs updated a little but I was able to muddle through it.

Naelr

tim

#6 Post by tim »

Glad to hear your printer is working. If you used apt-get to install hplip, hplip will now be automatically upgraded whenever you run apt-get upgrade.
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay