Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Canon D480 printer problem on 64-bit machine

Need help with peripherals or devices?
prometheus2

Canon D480 printer problem on 64-bit machine

#1 Post by prometheus2 »

So many of the Canon customers who use linux have happily found solutions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=99
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=86
Basically they are using alien to port rpm to deb and linking lib directory to lib64 directory and vice versa or some other variant.
I am still having the problem.
I am starting to think that this is Canon D480 specific problem (or D model line)
Because I used to have MF4150 and the above methods via alien worked. (I used 1.8 driver from Canon)
I spent countless hours to find new methods and tried them all. Now I am hoping that someone will see this thread and save me.
I am using Crunchbang Waldorf
and this is the conky message I get when I connect to the printer

Missing printer driver
No printer driver for Canon D460-490 (UFRII LT)

The CUPS page on localhost:631 gives me not much option
When I try to add a printer, it just says Forbidden on the page.
Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by prometheus2 on 2012-12-03 10:20, edited 2 times in total.

shugyo

Re: Canon D480 printer problem on amd 64

#2 Post by shugyo »

1) which driver do you have that says it supports the D480? The only one I checked was v2.50 and that does not list the D480 among its supported devices. You could possibly add it in the code though.
2) for CUPS, you need to be in the right group to use CUPS I suspect, and then you will be asked for a password when trying to use admin functions.

prometheus2

Re: Canon D480 printer problem on amd 64

#3 Post by prometheus2 »

shugyo wrote:1) which driver do you have that says it supports the D480? The only one I checked was v2.50 and that does not list the D480 among its supported devices. You could possibly add it in the code though.
2) for CUPS, you need to be in the right group to use CUPS I suspect, and then you will be asked for a password when trying to use admin functions.
Thanks for the reply shugyo,

1) D480 model is very similiar to other Multifunctional class Canno printers. Maybe you are right and D480 is not actually supported, but Canon's support page leads me to download v2.5 driver:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... ndSoftware
I looked in the source code to see if the model numbers are hard coded, but they are not.
2) Logging into Cups gives me no problem as I am authenticated using my user name and password (admin), it still gives me not much options to troubleshoot.

shugyo

Re: Canon D480 printer problem on 64-bit machine

#4 Post by shugyo »

Interesting!
Maybe you can try the drivers for MF4660, MF4690, MF5770 to see if they detect the D480?
These ImageClass devices (including the D480) are supported by SANE's pixma backend, so perhaps the CUPS drivers too are similar.

habibie

Re: Canon D480 printer problem on 64-bit machine

#5 Post by habibie »

shugyo wrote:Interesting!
Maybe you can try the drivers for MF4660, MF4690, MF5770 to see if they detect the D480?
These ImageClass devices (including the D480) are supported by SANE's pixma backend, so perhaps the CUPS drivers too are similar.
Sorry to bring this old discussion back, but I do encountered a problem to let SANE's pixma backend on my AMD64 PhenomII (running on a debian Wheezy) to recognize my network scanner provided by Canon D480 (also attached to the same router in different room). If you had managed to get this network scanner to work with your computer through the SANE's pixma backend, I sure would appreciate your help/