Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian and TV card

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Terje

debian and TV card

#1 Post by Terje »

My old saa7134-philips-chip based TV card recently died.

I had a lot of problems getting that one to work with debian sarge 2.6 kernel. The image wasn't a problem but the sound was just a pain in the ass :p

My local hardware store has an NVTV(nvidea) card for sale for about 110€. Now I'd like to know if anyone here has some experience with this kind of TV-card on debian systems...

If not, are there any other cards you can recommend? I can always order different stuff at the store but since they had that one in stock, I thought I might as well ask it here.

Grtz...
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

Terje

#2 Post by Terje »

I think nvtv cards shouldn't be a problem on debian, I found on the debian home site that the unstable even offeres a nvtv package officially. Now let's hope it really works when I have the card :p

nvtv - tool to control TV chips on NVidia cards under Linux

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

Terje

#3 Post by Terje »

Well they don't have it in stock anymore, so it doesn't matter if I order this card, or another one.

Does anyone have a card working in his debian PC? What brand(s) do you advice?

I'm looking for a card from about 100 €. I'd like a remote with it, and teletext would be nice, but isn't really needed.

Plz help me out here guys :)

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by domecq »

Hi Terje. I read that some Pinnacle tv cards work out of the box with Linux since there's a driver for them. And, if you're in Europe, a good news for you, the ones that do work out of the box are made for European market... which leaves your question still valid for my case, since I'm in North America, and the Pinnacle cards that are available here do not work out of the box.

Price-wise, well... you'll have to shop or google around.

Cheers,

Domecq

Terje

#5 Post by Terje »

Well I got a card from a friend of a friend. He had it in his computer for some time now and never used it so got it for 25€.

It's a Hercules tv card with remote and although it doesn't really work out of the box, it was pretty easy to set up.

So my problem is solved :) tnx for the reply anyway.

sensovision

#6 Post by sensovision »

hi Terje! sorry for late responce but I've spot this thread too late :( (I can't visit this forum as frequently as I wish :P ).
I had TV Tuner AverMedia Studio 305 and it Philips SAA7130 based card. First I've tried some BT based card which cost 20 USD or so but it has a lot of noise in picture, later I've got this one and it cost me 70USD(If I'm not wrong) and I can't make it work as well and as in your case it was problem with the sound... it simply won't work on kernels prior to 2.6.10(if memory doesn't fail me) but right after this all problems were solved and it still serve me well.
BTW I've wrote about my experience with this card here http://forum.weblamp.net/index.php?topic=3243.0 just in case that someone have similar problem, who knows maybe it would be helpful to someone.
Denis