Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian crashes, hardware problem?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
GinodeSilva

Debian crashes, hardware problem?

#1 Post by GinodeSilva »

Hi,

a couple of weeks ago, I upgraded my debian server. A power cable wasn't connected properly, so after 5 minutes, the harddisk went down and a lot of errors occured. I fixed the harddisk connections and I think from that moment on, at startup, the kernel.log says:

Jun 17 15:21:22 butler kernel: EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
Jun 17 15:21:22 butler kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
Jun 17 15:21:22 butler kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Jun 17 15:21:22 butler kernel: EXT3-fs: hda1: orphan cleanup on readonly fs
Jun 17 15:21:22 butler kernel: ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 3123257
and a lot more inodes.

I also had put two more harddisks in the server and everything is fine. Well, UNTIL I start downloading torrents at high speed and I login (webbased with torrentflux) to check my download. If I return home, the server doesn't respond to anything anymore and I have to do a hard reset. After that everything is fine once again.

I'm trying to find out the cause of the crashes but I can't seem to find anything in log files. Are the startup errors and the crashing related to each other, or maybe is torrentflux screwing up my server? Most of the times, torrentflux works like a charm, so I don't know if this might be the cause.

I hope somebody can help me out. I really need a reliable server since it's running a mailserver also!

Grtz, Gino

jobezone

Re: Debian crashes, hardware problem?

#2 Post by jobezone »

It could mean that the power cable to your disk is damaged (and so it keeps happening like the first time). Or that your hardrive got "damaged" when that happened.
Try using a different cable power... perhaps that's the problem

Eduardo
GinodeSilva wrote:Hi,

a couple of weeks ago, I upgraded my debian server. A power cable wasn't connected properly, so after 5 minutes, the harddisk went down and a lot of errors occured. I fixed the harddisk connections and I think from that moment on, at startup, the kernel.log says:

Jun 17 15:21:22 butler kernel: EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
Jun 17 15:21:22 butler kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
Jun 17 15:21:22 butler kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Jun 17 15:21:22 butler kernel: EXT3-fs: hda1: orphan cleanup on readonly fs
Jun 17 15:21:22 butler kernel: ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 3123257
and a lot more inodes.

I also had put two more harddisks in the server and everything is fine. Well, UNTIL I start downloading torrents at high speed and I login (webbased with torrentflux) to check my download. If I return home, the server doesn't respond to anything anymore and I have to do a hard reset. After that everything is fine once again.

I'm trying to find out the cause of the crashes but I can't seem to find anything in log files. Are the startup errors and the crashing related to each other, or maybe is torrentflux screwing up my server? Most of the times, torrentflux works like a charm, so I don't know if this might be the cause.

I hope somebody can help me out. I really need a reliable server since it's running a mailserver also!

Grtz, Gino