Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

problem with the new ati installer 8.14.13 in debian sarge!

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mechmg93

problem with the new ati installer 8.14.13 in debian sarge!

#1 Post by mechmg93 »

hello from greece!

yesterday i installed debian sarge with kernel 2.6 and i tried to install the new ati driver, after downloading the ati installer(35mb).
my display card is an ati radeon 9600 pro
i have installed the driver several times,each one after a fresh install.

during my first try ,after installing all the packages suggested from ati's manual(kernel headers etc), i did the next steps.

1.invoke-rc.d kdm stop
2. ./ati........run(i do not remember the exact name)
3.fglrxconfig
4./lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/./make.sh
5./lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/./make_install.sh
6./modprobe fglrx
7.reboot

i have to mention that i had already changed the fstab configuration and i added the line that refers to tmpfs.

the driver worked fine but the problem that appeard is thak when trying to log off from kde, kdm crashed and the only solution was the reset button.the same problem with xdm.

i installed sarge again and then i tried the suggested method by ati.

1.in kde i ran konsole
2.i wrote ./ati..........run
3.ran fglrxconfig
4.reboot
the installation done after afew clicks in X
the drive worked fine again but the same problem appeared. the system keeps crashing when trying to log off.

i have to mention that every time i try something different i re-install sarge so that any existing problem is fixed.

please if you know any solution to this problem give me ideas, cause i don;t know what to do!

michael

mechmg93

#2 Post by mechmg93 »

here is the log from /var/log/kdm

Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.8-2-686 (horms@tabatha.lab.ultramonkey.org) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)) #1 Thu May 19 17:53:30 JST 2005
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue Jun 21 15:49:21 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o": No symbols found
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o": No symbols found
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o": No symbols found
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_vertex.o": No symbols found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
QImage::convertDepth: Image is a null image
QImage::smoothScale: Image is a null image
SetClientVersion: 0 9

Hak`M

#3 Post by Hak`M »

I suggest you take a look at:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanch ... aller.html

if you want to use the ati drivers for debian. I installed them and it works pretty good I think. (There are .deb files there :wink: )

mechmg93

#4 Post by mechmg93 »

i installed once again sarge and i used the precompiled packages from the above site.

guess what.......i got the same crash :evil:

egreggio

works!!

#5 Post by egreggio »

With AMD Athlon 1000 and Radeon 9550....the ati drivers as explaining in the link http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanch ... aller.html works ok
Wonderfull. Tuxracer as a demon!
Thanks