Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

man gcc?

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
rplantz

man gcc?

#1 Post by rplantz »

I installed gcc-4.1, gcc-4.0-doc, binutils-doc, and build-essential. I still don't have a man page for gcc. I've got it for as and ld.

What package am I missing? (I feel stupid asking this question. :oops: )

ajdlinux

#2 Post by ajdlinux »

The gcc man pages are weird - you have to use man gcc-4.0 to see it, man gcc on my system redirects to g++.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

rplantz

#3 Post by rplantz »

ajdlinux wrote:The gcc man pages are weird - you have to use man gcc-4.0 to see it, man gcc on my system redirects to g++.
You led me in the right direction. I had installed 4.1.2 of both gcc and g++. My system did not behave quite like yours, but your remarks caused me to also install 4.0 of both gcc and g++. Now I can do man gcc-4.0 or man g++-4.0 and get man pages.

The --version shows that my default is still 4.1.2; I have to explicitly state 4.0 (e.g., g++-4.0) to use the 4.0 version.

I will assume for now that the 4.0 man pages are at least very close to the 4.1 versions.

Thank you.