Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What's your opinion about IDEs vs text editors?

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
jamison20000e
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth

Re: What's your opinion about IDEs vs text editors?

#16 Post by jamison20000e »

Cool ones:
Geany
KDevelop
Eclipse
Anjuta
Code::Blocks
Bluefish
Eric
Arduino (IDE)
Ninja
Squeak
Bash (? :D)
Robocode
could go way too long...
Could need way more info than put to help and conversely.
0100100001100101011011000110110001101111 Qrs+eO0UljuCBzKKrKE5dGdICbXnlruwoi2wVn7G5MM=
Need clean, free power! Photosynthesis to hydrogen? Plus. Kill monopolies? L :( L
Best wishes and have fun.

tomazzi

#17 Post by tomazzi »

jamison20000e wrote:Cool ones:
Bash (? :D)
BASH (the Born Again SHell or Bourne Again SHell) is definitely NOT an IDE - simply because it has none of software development tools INTEGRATED in it - the concept of IDE relies on Integration of Development tools ;)

The same applies to f.e. Bluefish, which is at best an "editor on steroids" (very good, but... not an IDE)

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

jamison20000e

#18 Post by jamison20000e »

So, wouldn't Bash become (or be considered) an IDE if you add integrated tools for developing and If not quite technically are there CLI IDEs? CLI Emacs too is debatable upon a search... :)
0100100001100101011011000110110001101111 Qrs+eO0UljuCBzKKrKE5dGdICbXnlruwoi2wVn7G5MM=
Need clean, free power! Photosynthesis to hydrogen? Plus. Kill monopolies? L :( L

tomazzi

#19 Post by tomazzi »

Well, 'integration" is a keyword - no speciall skills are required to distinguish the use cases and/or existing features - I think it's clear.

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

runfrodorun

#20 Post by runfrodorun »

tomazzi wrote:
runfrodorun wrote:I'm heavily biased, but I rarely if ever use IDE's. I use vim, and the gnu toolchain just like I did in the beginning, and I find nothing is really more productive than that. It's worth the learning curve :)
I don't want to force anybody to use an IDE of some sort, but apparently most of You haven't used any...

Regards.
Maybe you weren't the highest productivity programmer at your work by a good margin because you never left the comfort of IDE's?
You'd be surprised what kind of tools are available to use in a simple bash terminal. You can do some really powerful stuff.

Edit: Ok, I'll say this: I did try eclipse for a little bit, with this software package called vrapper, which is a vim-like editing environment. The basic features were there, but all the heavy weapons had not been programmed in, and so the real advantages of using a text editor like that didn't really pay off. So even when I did use an IDE, i ended up almost universally editing the code in a terminal. I also never found intellisense-like features useful, they usually got in the way because I can remember what kind of things I'm working with fairly easily. So if you're at the point where you're editing all of your code out of the IDE, the point becomes marginal. I used it only to compile, and it turned out that was easier as soon as i ditched it. So yes, I've tried an IDE, but only for about a year, and it didn't really suit my needs because it went out with a whimper and not much of a bang :/
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

tomazzi

#21 Post by tomazzi »

runfrodorun wrote:Maybe you weren't the highest productivity programmer at your work by a good margin because you never left the comfort of IDE's?
You'd be surprised what kind of tools are available to use in a simple bash terminal. You can do some really powerful stuff.
Ha,ha,ha... Nice try.

I'm not going to start a flamewar here, so just let's agree to disagree...

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

jamison20000e

#22 Post by jamison20000e »

Honestly it's widely agreed IDEs do slow code in so many ways (again examples, if the program does the coding++ for you you wont know lots of the code and stuff (thus can't be as good a programer) and\or the "AI" of the IDE may get it wrong, oOH something shiny... L :lol: L

tomazzi

#23 Post by tomazzi »

jamison20000e wrote:Honestly it's widely agreed IDEs do slow code in so many ways (again examples, if the program does the coding++ for you you wont know lots of the code and stuff (thus can't be as good a programer) and\or the "AI" of the IDE may get it wrong, oOH something shiny... L :lol: L
The code depends on a progammer, not on an IDE, which is just a tool - nothnig more. Apparently You haven't written a single line of code yet (maybe some "Hello world" or something like that...) . How do I know that?
Well, simply because You have no idea what cpp flags are doing and that IDE is just a wraper for gcc/g++/whatever - so whether You like it or not - You are close to trolling - give me more lines like the above and I'll just call You a troll, which without required knowledge tries/pretend to be an expert...
Odi profanum vulgus

jamison20000e

#24 Post by jamison20000e »

Some IDEs do the work for you to simplify (do'h.) And, the fact that my teachers would not allow IDEs for some reasons??? still it does depend on the programmer. I'll try to make no assumptions about you, in any aspect although tossing the words flame-war and troll around over opinions (go figure? :P ) You say tomato I say it started here: "but apparently most of You haven't used any..."

llivv

#25 Post by llivv »

jamison20000e wrote:I'd like to add you have to know more to c0de more so most teachers should say no to IDEs.
that's probably not why the teacher forbid IDE

I layed the groundwork for the flamwar comment so blame that one me. But I think a mor open perspective should be kept as well.
Granted I don't fully understand what an IDE actually is or teachers motivations for forbidding them.
Although I believe tomazzi is referring to an IDE not many of us here have heard much about much less find a way to use.
Which is why I commented above that 's probably not why the teacher forbid IDE.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

tomazzi

#26 Post by tomazzi »

llivv wrote:...or teachers motivations for forbidding them.
... cause In any learning process You start with the basic knowledge and basic tools?
You'll not allow children to use calculators when You teach them how to count...

By saing that I don't want to offend peoples who use editors - I'm too using low level tools, because sometimes this is the only way to do the job - f.e. when working with embedded systems.

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

llivv

#27 Post by llivv »

tomazzi wrote:
llivv wrote:...or teachers motivations for forbidding them.
You'll not allow children to use calculators when You teach them how to count...
When I read this all I could think of was smartphones and memories of slide rules.
I swear, I didn't leave my post above so awkwardly worded and misspelled.. :oops:
"blame flamwar me"
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

runfrodorun

#28 Post by runfrodorun »

tomazzi wrote:
jamison20000e wrote:Honestly it's widely agreed IDEs do slow code in so many ways (again examples, if the program does the coding++ for you you wont know lots of the code and stuff (thus can't be as good a programer) and\or the "AI" of the IDE may get it wrong, oOH something shiny... L :lol: L
The code depends on a progammer, not on an IDE, which is just a tool - nothnig more. Apparently You haven't written a single line of code yet (maybe some "Hello world" or something like that...) . How do I know that?
Well, simply because You have no idea what cpp flags are doing and that IDE is just a wraper for gcc/g++/whatever - so whether You like it or not - You are close to trolling - give me more lines like the above and I'll just call You a troll, which without required knowledge tries/pretend to be an expert...
I'm going to agree with jamison20000e here, I haven't known really any experienced programmers that preferred IDE's. Yes, this is probably because they've been coding since before IDE's were popular, but at the same thing, I'm fairly young, and I was raised this way and I'm always challenged trying to find the intimate configuration options that have always been available to me with code formatting, editor configuration, and really those options are often not there at all, and if they are they're hard to find. I had to hunt through the configuration files for visual studio to turn off autocompletion in intellisense once and it took like 10 google searches and an hour of my time, and I was on windows so I was already emotionally compromised to be using a computer with a proprietary operating system. There's really no substitute for knowing things about the code you're writing; no amount of intellisense will really help you as much as you think it will. even eclipse keeps moving the few options it does have around so I can never find them on the rare occasion that I use it. It takes me an hour to turn something like -fpic on every single time I'm working with somebody on an eclipse project, and that's something I can just snap my fingers on with something like a makefile, and there are even a lot of better builders out there now that are even more comprehensive and easy to use than IDE's. I guess what I'm saying is if you want to sit down and figure out what an IDE really gives you, it's just a GUI and some neat tools like intellisense, both of which I find slow me down, and the things that it doesn't give you slow me down even more. Honestly, when I'm watching people that swear by IDE's struggle to configure them I can't help but kind of pitty them in a sick way, I really do not like working with IDE's, and I just don't get why people find it to give them an advantage at all. I'm doing a study on this this summer to sort of construct a heuristic to assign arbitrary value to tools like IDE's and unix tools, and programmers themselves to conclusively say whether there is anything to the IDE argument. Maybe you'd be interested in a more scientiffic result. I'll say it again but you ain't going to believe me I could pump out the most functionality in the smallest amount of time on the last project I was on, and the guys on IDE's were always bitching about trying to configure them and all the weird formatting that you aren't really authoritative over was polluting our subversion diffs and making it impossible to read their changes. It was pretty gross :/ I didn't have to deal with that once, and that's valuable to me.
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

tomazzi

#29 Post by tomazzi »

runfrodorun wrote: It takes me an hour to turn something like -fpic on every single time I'm working with somebody on an eclipse project
WOW! that's a discovery...
You'll had have to enter a project build options... that could be considered a tragedy, unless You will eventually read the gcc manual, where the -fPIC is defined as follows:
If supported for the target machine, emit position-independent code, suitable for dynamic linking and avoiding any limit on the size of the global offset table. This option makes a difference on the m68k, PowerPC and SPARC .

Position-independent code requires special support, and therefore works only on certain machines.

When this flag is set, the macros "__pic__" and "__PIC__" are defined to 2.
Trolls: please educate yourselves about what You're writting about, unless You prefer to be a troll...

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

jamison20000e

#30 Post by jamison20000e »

tomazzi wrote:
runfrodorun wrote:Maybe you weren't the highest productivity programmer at your work by a good margin because you never left the comfort of IDE's?
Ha,ha,ha... Nice try.

Regards.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p535291

jamison20000e

#31 Post by jamison20000e »

Won't GUIs just hide a lot of mistakes?
ImageImage
First edit box as cut and paste only looks like: LQ gets a voluminous amount of (to any) "novice" questions and many duplicates
so here's more of some quick links from *me to you* best wishes and have fun.

Going to keep it short and simple it's up to you how deep to go [ATTACH]99[/ATTACH]
May notalways know what we want? But, should always want what we don't know.

You've(1) decided to make(2) a choice(3) for freedom(4) and at a good time(5) too, in my more than fifteen years with it I've watched GNU\Linux(6) change to be usable by anyone so enjoy; more importantly search(8) answers(9) before posting questions as-well put more info(10) then if your problem gets solved [inform] plus how for the sake of others. And, that's all I'm going to say outside of comments but infinite-possibilities—so-long (paronomasia intended.)

Massachusetts Institute of Technology — Why you should back up your files (and\or configs)
Wikipedia — Live CD (or USB or other)
Distrowatch — Distribution category — Live Medium — "Sorted by popularity" you decide (also from Linux magazines or distro sites plus try libraries &c)
Free as in Freedom — Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software — manybooks.net
Debian User Forums — How to Help Someone use a Computer
Top pick of searching http://www.tldp.org(7) for 'what is Linux'
The Linux Documentation Project
University of South Carolina — Bare Bones 101: A Basic Tutorial On Searching The Web
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
E.g: like your PC or hardware's model number defined by Computer Hope .com and at a command prompt:

Code: Select all

man uname
    uname -a
(FreeBSD Man Pages)(10) additionally more info on the problem at hand, what you did, error codes+++

Happy Hacking

P.s:(11) want to mention the joy I had
trying many, many distros plus window managers and think it's vital. . .
CLI is the best but I also love how bloatware rhymes with cycles to spare.

[ATTACH]100[/ATTACH][ATTACH]101[/ATTACH]
Then cut the middleware:

[CENTER][SIZE=3]LQ gets a voluminous amount of[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3] (to any)[/SIZE] "novice" questions and many duplicates
so here's more of some quick links from *me to you* best wishes and have fun.[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/user/jamison20000e-219431/albums/my-album/1st-nephew-97/"][IMG]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/user/jamison20000e-219431/albums/my-album/1st-nephew-97.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[SIZE=3]Going to keep it short and simple it's up to [COLOR=Blue]you[/COLOR] how [COLOR=Red]deep[/COLOR] to go[/SIZE] [ATTACH]99[/ATTACH]
  [SIZE=3]May notalways know what we want? But, should always want what we don't know.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[SIZE=3]  
[URL="http://ist.mit.edu/security/backup"]You've[/URL][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1](1)[/SIZE] [/COLOR]decided to [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD"]make[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](2)[/COLOR][/SIZE] a [URL="http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Live+Medium"]choice[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](3)[/COLOR][/SIZE] for [URL="http://manybooks.net/titles/williams0sametext04freed10.html"]freedom[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]([/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]4)[/COLOR][/SIZE] and at a [URL="http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47077"]good time[/URL][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](5)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE] too, in my more than fifteen years with it I've watched GNU\[URL="http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/chap_01.html"]Linux[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](6)[/COLOR][/SIZE] [B]change[/B] [B]to be usable by [U]anyone[/U][/B] so enjoy; more importantly [URL="http://www.sc.edu/beaufort/library/pages/bones/bones.shtml"]search[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](8)[/COLOR][/SIZE] [URL="http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#translations"]answers[/URL][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](9) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]before posting questions as-well put more [URL="http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/m/modenumb.htm"]info[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](10)[/COLOR][/SIZE] then if your problem gets solved [inform] plus how for the sake of others. And[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3],[/SIZE] that's all I'm going to say outside of comments but [FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#222A0A]infinite-possibilities—[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#222A0A]so-long (paronomasia intended.[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]:hattip:)
[/SIZE][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[LIST=1]
[*][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Massachusetts Institute of Technology [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]—[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Why you should back up your files [SIZE=2](and\or configs)[/SIZE][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Wikipedia — Live CD [SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](or USB or other)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed][B]Distrowatch — Distribution category — Live Medium [SIZE=3]— "Sorted by popularity" you decide[/SIZE] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed][B][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=2] [COLOR=DarkRed](also from Linux magazines or distro sites plus try libraries &c[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed][B])[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[*][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Free as in Freedom — Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]— [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][B][SIZE=3]manybooks.net 
[/SIZE][/B]
[*][B][SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][SIZE=3]Debian User Forums [/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]—[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/B] [SIZE=3]How to Help Someone use a Computer[/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Top pick of searching [URL]http://www.tldp.org[/URL][SIZE=1](7)[/SIZE] for 'what is Linux'[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]The Linux Documentation Project[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]University of South Carolina — Bare Bones 101: A Basic Tutorial On Searching The Web[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[*][B][SIZE=3]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/SIZE][/B]
[*][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=3]E.g: like your PC or hardware's model number defined by Computer Hope .com and at a command prompt: [/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][SIZE=3][URL="http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=uname&apropos=0&sektion=1&manpath=Red+Hat+Linux%2Fi386+9&format=html"][CODE]man uname
uname -a
[/URL][/SIZE](FreeBSD Man Pages)(10) additionally more info on the problem at hand, what you did, error codes+++

[/LIST]
[/COLOR][/B][RIGHT][INDENT]Happy Hacking :study:
[/INDENT] P.s:(11) want to mention the joy I had
[/RIGHT]

[CENTER]CLI is the best but I also love how bloatware rhymes with cycles to spare. :D[/CENTER]
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]100[/ATTACH][ATTACH]101[/ATTACH][/CENTER][/code]now I get to fix the mess the point and click editor made... :cry:

tomazzi

#32 Post by tomazzi »

jamison20000e wrote:
tomazzi wrote:
Ha,ha,ha... Nice try.

Regards.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p535291
Yes, it was stupid to post another reply to critcism targeted at the tool (so I can agree with You this time).

Nevertheless, it's just that simple : good programmers are writting good code, bad programmers are writting bad code - no matter what tools they're using...
Odi profanum vulgus

jamison20000e

#33 Post by jamison20000e »

Got some time to fix the BB code in my LQ blog (and my last post:)

[CENTER][SIZE=3]LQ gets a voluminous amount of (to any) "novice" questions and many duplicates
so here's more of some quick links from *me to you* best wishes and have fun.

[URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/user/jamison20000e-219431/albums/my-album/1st-nephew-97/"][IMG]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/user/jamison20000e-219431/albums/my-album/1st-nephew-97.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Going to keep it short and simple it's up to [COLOR=Blue]you[/COLOR] how [COLOR=Red]deep[/COLOR] to go [ATTACH]99[/ATTACH]
May notalways know what we want? But, should always want what we don't know.[/CENTER]

[URL="http://ist.mit.edu/security/backup"]You've[/URL][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1](1)[/SIZE] [/COLOR]decided to [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD"]make[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](2)[/COLOR][/SIZE] a [URL="http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Live+Medium"]choice[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](3)[/COLOR][/SIZE] for [URL="http://manybooks.net/titles/williams0sametext04freed10.html"]freedom[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](4)[/COLOR][/SIZE] and at a [URL="http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47077"]good time[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](5)[/COLOR][/SIZE] too, in my more than fifteen years with it I've watched GNU\[URL="http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/chap_01.html"]Linux[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](6)[/COLOR][/SIZE] [B]change to be usable by [U]anyone[/U][/B] so enjoy; more importantly [URL="http://www.sc.edu/beaufort/library/pages/bones/bones.shtml"]search[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](8)[/COLOR][/SIZE] [URL="http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#translations"]answers[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](9) [/COLOR][/SIZE]before posting questions as-well put more [URL="http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/m/modenumb.htm"]info[/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue](10)[/COLOR][/SIZE] then if your problem gets solved [inform] plus how for the sake of others. And, that's all I'm going to say outside of comments but [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#222A0A]infinite-possibilities—so-long (paronomasia intended.[/COLOR][/FONT]:hattip:)

[B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][LIST=1]
[*]Massachusetts Institute of Technology Why you should back up your files (and\or configs)
[*]Wikipedia — Live CD (or USB or other)
[*]Distrowatch — Distribution category — Live Medium — "Sorted by popularity" you decide [COLOR=DarkRed](also from Linux magazines or distro sites plus try libraries &c[/COLOR]
[*]Free as in Freedom — Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software — manybooks.net 
[*]Debian User Forums — How to Help Someone use a Computer
[*]Top pick of searching [URL]http://www.tldp.org[/URL][SIZE=1](7)[/SIZE] for 'what is Linux'
[*]The Linux Documentation Project
[*]University of South Carolina — Bare Bones 101: A Basic Tutorial On Searching The Web
[*]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
[*]E.g: like your PC or hardware's model number defined by Computer Hope .com and at a command prompt: [URL="http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=uname&apropos=0&sektion=1&manpath=Red+Hat+Linux%2Fi386+9&format=html"][CODE]man uname
uname -a
(FreeBSD Man Pages)[/URL](10) additionally more info on the problem at hand, what you did, error codes+++[/LIST][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[RIGHT][INDENT]Happy Hacking :study:[/INDENT]

P.s:(11)want to mention the joy I had
[/B][/RIGHT]

[CENTER]CLI is the best but I also love how bloatware rhymes with cycles to spare. :D

[ATTACH]100[/ATTACH][ATTACH]101[/ATTACH][/CENTER][/code]keep in mind could be less but limited in BB at LQ. Here is using the default GUI editor :oops: since I started it:Image

and then fixing it with text editing only:Image both looked the same to a web viewer... one good lesson here, how much wasted code in the world thanks to GUIs. :shock:
Last edited by jamison20000e on 2014-04-02 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

krishna gopal sharma

#34 Post by krishna gopal sharma »

i prefers the GNU Emacs in LXDE

high level editing with less resource requirements

lol

runfrodorun

#35 Post by runfrodorun »

tomazzi wrote:
runfrodorun wrote: It takes me an hour to turn something like -fpic on every single time I'm working with somebody on an eclipse project
WOW! that's a discovery...
You'll had have to enter a project build options... that could be considered a tragedy, unless You will eventually read the gcc manual, where the -fPIC is defined as follows:
If supported for the target machine, emit position-independent code, suitable for dynamic linking and avoiding any limit on the size of the global offset table. This option makes a difference on the m68k, PowerPC and SPARC .

Position-independent code requires special support, and therefore works only on certain machines.

When this flag is set, the macros "__pic__" and "__PIC__" are defined to 2.
Trolls: please educate yourselves about what You're writting about, unless You prefer to be a troll...

Regards.
Look man, you're clearly trying to start a fight here, but I don't think you're even reading my posts. I don't think you're really understanding what I'm saying here, and any competent programmer should understand what I'm trying to communicate to you. I'm facepalming so hard it's going to give my grandchildren concussions; I know what -fpic is. I'm a professional programmer and probably have been since long before you earned your bachelors. the entire point of that statement is that the IDE's hide the compiler from the user and it makes it impossible to turn on the cflags that you want at compile time and it takes hours of digging through GUI's to find the invocation line. Seriously just stop you're embarassing yourself. This has nothing to do with compilers, or technicalities. Please do not patronize me by calling me uneducated, you really have no idea what you are talking about, and I'm a bit lost as to why I'm the troll here...
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.