Error in ./configure (SOLVED)

Need help with C, C++, perl, python, etc?

Postby garrincha » 2007-01-16 00:16

plugwash wrote:build-dep isn't a package its a command just like update install upgrade dist-upgrade source and so on.

that command will install everything that would be needed to build the debian package of fluxbox which should be pretty much the same as what is needed to build the upstream source.

My bad. I thought that you were talking about a debian package. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I did 'apt-get build-dep fluxbox', and it dumped at least 12M of files in my box specifically:
Code: Select all
cdbs debhelper gettext html2text intltool-debian libatk1.0-dev libcairo2-dev libexpat1-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libice-dev libimlib2-dev libjpeg62-dev libltdl3-dev libpango1.0-dev libpng12-dev libsm-dev libtiff4-dev libtiffxx0c2 libungif4-dev libx11-dev libxau-dev libxcursor-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxft-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxpm-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxt-dev pkg-config po-debconf x-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-render-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev xtrans-dev zlib1g-dev

As you could see, these are devel packages. The ./configure, make and make install did worked when I build fluxbox. But when I tried to test the ./configure for the kde theme (baghira), I got configure error, this time:
checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0 and < 4.0) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation!

Obviously it looks like that I need to get the Qt headers and libraries. But, shouldn't I have at least all, if not most of the requisted tool for building a package from source?
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."
garrincha

Postby plugwash » 2007-01-16 00:44

nearly every library in debian has a corresponding -dev package, installing all of them would be near impossible even if there was a way to find them all.

as i said if there is an older version of the package you are trying to compile in the debian repositries you can use apt-get build-dep to get most of it. Beyond that its a matter of using the package contents search on packages.debian.org and/or some educated guesswork.
plugwash

Postby mzilikazi » 2007-01-16 05:04

You can dig around and find what you need. Something like:
aptitude search qt|grep dev
would be useful.

I have very little qt on my systems but this:
dpkg -l|grep qt
ii  libqt3-headers                        3.3.7-3         Qt3 header files
ii  libqt3-mt                             3.3.7-3         Qt GUI Library (Threaded runtime version), V
ii  libqt3-mt-dev                         3.3.7-3         Qt development files (Threaded)
ii  libqt3-mt-mysql                       3.3.7-3         MySQL database driver for Qt3 (Threaded)
ii  python-qt3                            3.16-1.2         Qt3 bindings for Python
ii  qt3-dev-tools                         3.3.7-3         Qt3 development tools
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby garrincha » 2007-01-16 11:59

Thanks guys for taking the trouble answering!8)

O.k., for future reference when I want to build a custom debian kernel, what is the most important thing that I need to have in order (obviously there are notes/HOW-DOs about it elsewhere that I'm aware of, I'm asking anyway) to have almost trouble free building.

So I would presumed that for a minimal base system install like I did I would be missing out a lot of devel libraries and headers?
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."
garrincha

Postby mzilikazi » 2007-01-16 13:27

garrincha wrote:So I would presumed that for a minimal base system install like I did I would be missing out a lot of devel libraries and headers?

Yep that's always the case. Most people don't want/need -dev packages.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Previous

Return to Programming