/usr/local/bin

Need help with C, C++, perl, python, etc?

/usr/local/bin

Postby Lavene » 2007-01-17 09:44

A quick question: In order to make a program as easy as possible to execute, is it regarded OK to put the executable(s) in /usr/local/bin?

Tina
Lavene
Site admin

Postby Grifter » 2007-01-17 11:28

yes, there it will not interfere with apt
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Grifter

Postby thamarok » 2007-01-17 12:53

Extending the question: Would it be good practice to make your own made programs install to /usr/local/bin/ and config files and others to /usr/share/?
thamarok

Postby Grifter » 2007-01-17 13:01

non-package config files go into /usr/local/etc, but other than that yes

just download a source package and look thru its makefiles and configure scripts, /usr/local exists so that you can put files there without worrying about messing up the package manager
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Grifter

Postby thamarok » 2007-01-17 13:08

I mean, if I install xaralx, it puts the binary to /usr/bin/xaralx and not /usr/local/bin/xaralx.. so if I was the maker of Xara LX, would it be good practice to make the program install the binaries to /usr/local/bin/?

And a lot of programs use /usr/share/ for their configs.. here to list a few (but note that some of these programs use other paths aswell):
XMMS
MPlayer
Firefox/Iceweasel
ALSA
MySQL
thamarok

Postby Lavene » 2007-01-17 13:15

Thanks to the Oracle of Sweden :)

Tina
Lavene
Site admin

Postby thamarok » 2007-01-17 17:20

Lavene wrote:Thanks to the Oracle of Sweden :)

Tina

Stop day-dreaming of ponies and Oracles of Sweden :wink:
thamarok

Postby ajdlinux » 2007-01-17 23:50

thamarok wrote:I mean, if I install xaralx, it puts the binary to /usr/bin/xaralx and not /usr/local/bin/xaralx.. so if I was the maker of Xara LX, would it be good practice to make the program install the binaries to /usr/local/bin/?

If the software can easily be removed it can be installed in /usr rather than /usr/local however if you touch /usr you have to remember that dpkg/apt could overwrite files at any time. For xaralx I think it's OK.

And a lot of programs use /usr/share/ for their configs.. here to list a few (but note that some of these programs use other paths aswell):
XMMS
MPlayer
Firefox/Iceweasel
ALSA
MySQL

Programs that use /usr/share for *configuration* files should have SERIOUS bugs filed. /etc is where configuration files belong, /usr/share is for arch-independent data files, including graphics, documentation (including *sample* configuration files), game levels, etc.

When installing in /usr/local configs go to /usr/local/etc and share files go to /usr/local/share.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au
ajdlinux

Return to Programming