using "D" for opensource.. good idea?

Need help with C, C++, perl, python, etc?

using "D" for opensource.. good idea?

Postby kevin24 » 2007-02-02 17:42

Hi everybody..

I just read about the "new" C++ successor: D. I think this language has some very interesting features; I like it's design. But somehow I don't really understand it's licensing. On Wikipedia I found:
* DMD Compiler: the Digital Mars D compiler, the official D compiler by Walter Bright. The compiler front end is licensed under both the Artistic License and the GNU GPL; sources for the front end are distributed along with the compiler binaries. The compiler back end is proprietary.
* GDC: D Compiler, built using the DMD compiler front end and the GCC back end.

Does this mean that D-programs I write do rely on proprietary ground? Are these applications then compatible with the GPL license?
It originated as a re-engineering of C++, but even though it is predominantly influenced by that language, it is not a variant of C++.

How is it possible for the GDC to use GCC as a backend, if D has nothing to do with C except the base syntax?

kevin
kevin24

Re: using "D" for opensource.. good idea?

Postby ajdlinux » 2007-02-03 21:34

kevin24 wrote:Hi everybody..

I just read about the "new" C++ successor: D. I think this language has some very interesting features; I like it's design. But somehow I don't really understand it's licensing. On Wikipedia I found:
* DMD Compiler: the Digital Mars D compiler, the official D compiler by Walter Bright. The compiler front end is licensed under both the Artistic License and the GNU GPL; sources for the front end are distributed along with the compiler binaries. The compiler back end is proprietary.
* GDC: D Compiler, built using the DMD compiler front end and the GCC back end.

Does this mean that D-programs I write do rely on proprietary ground? Are these applications then compatible with the GPL license?

The backend part of the DMD compiler is proprietary. This has nothing to do with the GPL though as the compiler only processes code, it's not a library that actually links or anything.

It originated as a re-engineering of C++, but even though it is predominantly influenced by that language, it is not a variant of C++.

How is it possible for the GDC to use GCC as a backend, if D has nothing to do with C except the base syntax?

GCC != GNU C Compiler.
GCC == GNU Compiler Collection

GCC's backend is not C-related at all, there is for example a Pascal compiler (GPC) that uses the GCC backend. The frontend is what actually does the language-specific part.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au
ajdlinux

[solved] using "D" for opensource.. good idea?

Postby kevin24 » 2007-02-04 10:27

ajdlinux,

thanks for the explanation, I guess I've mixed things up a bit..

kevin
kevin24

Return to Programming