Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] HHVM Linking Issues on Jessie

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
N3X15

[Solved] HHVM Linking Issues on Jessie

#1 Post by N3X15 »

I've been beating my head on a wall with this for a while, so any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I do web development professionally and have a Debian Jessie dedicated server which I do most of my testing on, which gives my clients the ability to view progress live. I've started to move my servers over to HHVM for many reasons, but for some reason, I am unable to get HHVM to compile on this system. I have another server running Jessie, but it's effectively cut off from the Internet due to longstanding issues with my ISP. I cannot use prebuilt binaries due to some issues with HHVM's packaging on Debian, and some missing features I need.

Log: http://ci.nexisonline.net/job/hhvm-maes ... onsoleFull (Warning: fairly long, but the top has system information and the bottom has the linking error.)

System Information:

Code: Select all

Linux dedi 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt2-1 (2014-12-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)
Release:	8.0
Codename:	jessie
Versions:
libc-client2007e-dev (Possibly affected by #766526, but the version looks correct)

# aptitude show libc-client2007e-dev
Package: libc-client2007e-dev
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 8:2007f~dfsg-4
Priority: extra
Section: libdevel
Maintainer: Magnus Holmgren <holmgren@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 1,914 k
Depends: comerr-dev, krb5-multidev, libpam0g-dev, libssl-dev, libc-client2007e (= 8:2007f~dfsg-4)
Conflicts: libc-client-dev, libc-client-dev, libc-client2007e-dev
Replaces: libc-client-dev, libc-client-dev
Provides: libc-client-dev
Description: c-client library for mail protocols - development files
 IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is a method of accessing electronic messages kept on a (possibly shared) mail server.

The UW (University of Washington) IMAP toolkit provides the c-client mail-handling library supporting various network transport methods, file system storage formats, and authentication and authorization methods.

This package contains the static c-client library and development headers.
Homepage: http://www.washington.edu/imap/

Tags: devel::library, role::devel-lib
libmagickwand-dev:

# aptitude show libmagickwand-dev
Package: libmagickwand-dev
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Multi-Arch: foreign
Version: 8:6.8.9.9-5
Priority: optional
Section: libdevel
Maintainer: ImageMagick Packaging Team <pkg-gmagick-im-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 153 k
Depends: libmagickwand-6.q16-dev
Provides: libmagickwand-dev
Description: image manipulation library - transition for development files
 This package included the static libraries needed to compile programs using MagickWand.

This is a transition package that depends on default quantum libmagickwand development files.

This package can safely be removed.
Homepage: http://www.imagemagick.org/

Tags: devel::library, role::devel-lib
It's been like this for months, so any help you can provide would be great.

Solved:
Okay, managed to work around this while talking to some HHVM devs, am posting the solution for posterity. Thanks to jrobeson for the help with untangling what the buildsystem was doing.

Apparently, something changed with libImageMagick on Jessie and I somehow managed to get both graphicsmagick and imagemagick installed on the same system. In addition, IMAP support in HHVM just doesn't work on Jessie for some reason, but thankfully, it's not needed in my case.

To fix, simply run

aptitude remove graphicsmagick-libmagick-dev-compat libc-client2007e-dev
to remove graphicsmagick and libcclient.

Make sure you update any symlinks for {,Magick}Wand-config, too.