Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Problem running a python program named mnemosyne

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
jfmxl

[SOLVED] Problem running a python program named mnemosyne

#1 Post by jfmxl »

[SOLVED : The solution lay in backporting a version of python-webob >=1.4 to replace the 1.1.1-1.1 in the wheezy repository at debian. There is a copy generously provided below :

https://copy.com/INMOCwyJl61ZtGbo.

All I needed do was remove the python-webob from the devian wheezy repository and install the

mnemosyne/python-webob-1.4/python-webob_1.4-2steve_all.deb

provided below and then the menemocyne 2.3.2 installation I got from the mnemosyne site was good to go.

I have since discovered anki, http://ankisrs.net/ which installed wirh no problem, and looks as though it may better suit my particular needs. It did not list python-webop in its - shorter - list of dependencies.

Thanks to Steve Pusser for the solution. N.B. I let the mnemosyne developers know about my problem and your solution : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... ZJLmLg-KM0 ]

Trying to set up a python program named mnemosyne ... installed the dependencies listed for ubuntu, there was no separate listing for debian ... setup.py ran ok ... but when I type mnemosyne to start the program ...

Please forward the following info to the developers:

Traceback (innermost last):
File "/usr/local/bin/mnemosyne", line 4, in <module>
__import__('pkg_resources').run_script('Mnemosyne==2.3.2', 'mnemosyne')
File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 517, in run_script
self.require(requires)[0].run_script(script_name, ns)
File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 1443, in run_script
exec(script_code, namespace, namespace)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Mnemosyne-2.3.2-py2.7.egg/EGG-INFO/scripts/mnemosyne", line 191, in <module>
File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mnemosyne/libmnemosyne/__init__.py", line 174, in initialise
self.register_components()
File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mnemosyne/libmnemosyne/__init__.py", line 244, in register_components
exec("from %s import %s" % (module_name, class_name))
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mnemosyne/pyqt_ui/qt_web_server.py", line 13, in <module>
File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mnemosyne/web_server/web_server.py", line 14, in <module>
ImportError: No module named static
jfl@wsdeb:~$

The developer sent me here .... any clue? Thanks.
Last edited by jfmxl on 2015-03-08 18:22, edited 3 times in total.

jfmxl

Re: Problem running a python program named mnemosyne

#2 Post by jfmxl »

The developer suggested that I make sure python-webob installed properly ... apt-get says its installed ... what could be proper or improper ?

sudo apt-get install python-cherrypy3 python-virtualenv python-qt4-dev pyqt4-dev-tools qt4-designer python-qt4-sql libqt4-sql-sqlite python-matplotlib python-qt4-phonon python-sphinx python-webob
[sudo] password for jfl:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python-cherrypy3 is already the newest version.
python-matplotlib is already the newest version.
pyqt4-dev-tools is already the newest version.
python-qt4-dev is already the newest version.
python-qt4-phonon is already the newest version.
python-qt4-sql is already the newest version.
python-virtualenv is already the newest version.
python-webob is already the newest version.
libqt4-sql-sqlite is already the newest version.
qt4-designer is already the newest version.
python-sphinx is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

11 packages on the command line and 11 packages 'already the newest version'. What's the '1 not upgraded' about?

confuseling

#3 Post by confuseling »

I had no problems building a backport on Wheezy (admittedly that was a while ago).

Don't know if that helps...

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38976
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

According to this, a python-webob 1.4 backport will fix the error. https://bugs.launchpad.net/mnemosyne-proj/+bug/1326151
MX Linux packager and developer

jfmxl

#5 Post by jfmxl »

Great, I've removed libwebob 1.4.2 that I'd got from debian, downloaded WebOb-1.4.tar.gz from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/WebOb/1.4, untarred it, cd'd to WebOb-1.4 looked around ... tried python setup.py ... no go

How do I install this thing? I'm not a pythonista.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

A backport is not downloading the upstream deb and trying to install it, it's a rebuild from the source on the target platform.

Let me see what happens...

You know, it's in the standard repositories. Is something you need missing from the Wheezy version?

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Well, I hadda larn me some stuff to package that durn 2.3.2 version, but it's done and works!

(rubs hands together) HAH HAH HAHHAH! HAH HA HAH HAHAHAH!

https://copy.com/INMOCwyJl61ZtGbo

jfmxl

#8 Post by jfmxl »

Hey, thanks a million!

I used apt-get to remove the debian repository version of python-webob (1.4.2) and ran

sudo dpkg -i python-webob_1.4-2steve_all.deb

and now my failed installation of mnemosyne 2.3.2 seems to work ok.

The python-webob from debian was labelled 1.4.2, the webob at the python site was 1.4, yours is 1.4-2 ? I don't understand what you did, but thanks for fixing it up.

I personally don't like the python world ... many, many different libraries and versions of them from many, many different sources make lots and lots of code and so lots and lots of ways to fail. And who knows what else's hidden in all that code besides what a given program is actually using to begin with.

But this is a gift horse and I shouldn't be looking in its mouth, should I? It's a good flash-card type program with 'smart' repetition built-in so I'll give it a try.

And thanks to you, stevepusser, for getting it working for me.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

I rebuilt the Jessie version of the webob package; it's slightly behind the latest release, being version 1.4 (but enough to work). As you say, the latest upstream release is 1.4.2. The "-2" is used by the Debian packages to refer to the packaging changes: the first time they package that release, it's -1, then if they change something in the procedure, it's -2, and so on.

You might let the mnemosyne developers know they should have python-webob (>= 1.4) listed as one of their dependencies now.

Could you edit the title of your first post to mark this thread [SOLVED]? Thanks!