Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] PyQt5 and libcanberra-gtk3-module

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
Mike

[SOLVED] PyQt5 and libcanberra-gtk3-module

#1 Post by Mike »

I was playing around with QT5 today and I am getting the error Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module". Searching suggested that the module may not be installed however it looks like it is to me. Does anyone know what I am missing here?

Code: Select all

ii  libcanberra-gtk3-0:amd64              0.30-2.1                            amd64        GTK+ 3.0 helper for playing widget event sounds with libcanberra
ii  libcanberra-gtk3-module:amd64         0.30-2.1                            amd64        translates GTK3 widgets signals to event sounds
ii  libcanberra-pulse:amd64               0.30-2.1                            amd64        PulseAudio backend for libcanberra
ii  libcanberra0:amd64                    0.30-2.1                            amd64        simple abstract interface for playing event sounds

import sys
from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QApplication, QWidget

if __name__ == '__main__':

app = QApplication(sys.argv)

w = QWidget()
    w.resize(250, 150)
    w.move(300, 300)
    w.setWindowTitle('Simple')
    w.show()

sys.exit(app.exec_())
Last edited by Mike on 2015-05-31 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

fireExit

Re: PyQt5 and libcanberra-gtk3-module

#2 Post by fireExit »

Does this or this helps?

Mike

Re: PyQt5 and libcanberra-gtk3-module

#3 Post by Mike »

fireExit wrote:Does this or this helps?
The first one did not help.

sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module:i386

The second one seemed to be the kicker. Being the curious type I removed the libs installed with the first option, and it still works.

sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk*

The end result is that I now have these libs installed, and no more error! I'm not sure which one fixed the problem but it works so I'm happy.

ii  libcanberra-dev:amd64                 0.30-2.1                            amd64        simple abstract interface for playing event sounds
ii  libcanberra-gtk-common-dev            0.30-2.1                            all          simple abstract interface for playing event sounds
ii  libcanberra-gtk-dev:amd64             0.30-2.1                            amd64        simple abstract interface for playing event sounds
ii  libcanberra-gtk-module:amd64          0.30-2.1                            amd64        translates GTK+ widgets signals to event sounds
ii  libcanberra-gtk-module-dbg:amd64      0.30-2.1                            amd64        libcanberra GtkModule detached debugging symbols
ii  libcanberra-gtk0:amd64                0.30-2.1                            amd64        GTK+ helper for playing widget event sounds with libcanberra
ii  libcanberra-gtk0-dbg:amd64            0.30-2.1                            amd64        libcanberra-gtk libraries detached debugging symbols
ii  libcanberra-gtk3-0:amd64              0.30-2.1                            amd64        GTK+ 3.0 helper for playing widget event sounds with libcanberra
ii  libcanberra-gtk3-0-dbg:amd64          0.30-2.1                            amd64        libcanberra-gtk libraries detached debugging symbols
ii  libcanberra-gtk3-dev:amd64            0.30-2.1                            amd64        simple abstract interface for playing event sounds
ii  libcanberra-gtk3-module:amd64         0.30-2.1                            amd64        translates GTK3 widgets signals to event sounds
ii  libcanberra-gtk3-module-dbg:amd64     0.30-2.1                            amd64        libcanberra GtkModule detached debugging symbols
ii  libcanberra-pulse:amd64               0.30-2.1                            amd64        PulseAudio backend for libcanberra
ii  libcanberra0:amd64                    0.30-2.1                            amd64        simple abstract interface for playing event sounds
I'll mark this solved, now back to learning PyQT. :)

fireExit

Re: [SOLVED] PyQt5 and libcanberra-gtk3-module

#4 Post by fireExit »

Glad you got it solved.

just for reference, Debian doesn't have multiarch enabled by default, so you would need to "tweak" the system a bit in order to install i386 lib into a amd64 system.