Who what editor uses?

Need help with C, C++, perl, python, etc?

Postby kmoffat » 2007-02-17 15:21

shoof wrote:I use Gedit....big thing for me is it integrates with gnome-vfs very nicely so I can easily edit files on any machine using ssh.

What is the process? Do you ssh to the machine, then just run "gedit filename"?

EDIT: just tried that; ssh hostname, no -V option, as plain user, then "gedit filename" and up pops gedit on this machine. Nice. Running debian etch and gnome on both machines.
kmoffat

Postby Blyiss » 2007-02-17 17:51

Hi, I found even a nicer way to use emacs for editing XHTML files:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/NxmlModeForXHTML
An here is the neat script that will download, make and install Emacs 22:
Code: Select all
#! /bin/sh
## Minimal best-practices cross-platform build from current CVS

## install optional support libraries (especially for fuller image support)

## icons installed separately?

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
cd emacs

./configure
make bootstrap

make
make install

## suggest help URLs or packages
## code to dump?

[/code]
Blyiss

Postby Scotti » 2007-02-18 04:18

Blyiss wrote:
Scotti wrote:Personally, I use jEdit ( http://www.jedit.org ).

Don't you find that jEdit is a bit sluggish? And it would be interesting to know how you solved the problem of printing in jEdit. They say that java doesn't fully support printing. jEdit finds my printer but doesn't print anyway. I tried to change the printer command, but didn't find this option. Do you have any problems of printing in jEdit?

When I first started using jEdit, many years ago, it was a little slugish. If you have some "style" plugins loaded it will be even slower. It will be slow on older machines, too, as Java itself is slow at times.

As for printing, I don't own a printer, so I've never attempted to print from jEdit. If I do need something printed (which is rare) I print from my Dad's computer or do it at work.
Scotti
Moderator Team Member

Postby Zen-Owl » 2007-02-26 17:59

Blyiss wrote:It's OK. I know all these programs. I am asking about personal preferences. Who what editor likes and why. It is quite impossible to try each program available.

Oh, I see, in that case, then I chose KATE.

Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side, and holds the universe together.
Zen-Owl

Postby njkt » 2007-02-26 20:21

Vi or Vim for syntax highlighting :twisted:
njkt

Postby Blyiss » 2007-02-26 21:45

Syntax highlighting doesn't impress. Personally I chose an editor. It's emacs. It can do much more nice things than just highlighting like to be a cool email client and more.
viewtopic.php?t=12459&highlight=
Blyiss

editor

Postby javahaxxor » 2007-03-03 01:41

We use Aptana at work. It's Eclipse based, and you can get it as an Eclipse plug-in. A tool worth checking out, it handles javascript as well.

regarding "gaining control of your code" I prefer to quickly generate what i need in Dreamweaver or such, and do a quick refactor on the mark-up to change what i consider worth changing. That way i may not be as "l33t" as people using vi or nano, but i sure as hell get it done faster (read: make money faster)

OBS: I'm not trying to start a debate
javahaxxor

Re: editor

Postby Blyiss » 2007-03-03 06:27

javahaxxor wrote:We use Aptana at work. It's Eclipse based, and you can get it as an Eclipse plug-in. A tool worth checking out, it handles javascript as well.

regarding "gaining control of your code" I prefer to quickly generate what i need in Dreamweaver or such, and do a quick refactor on the mark-up to change what i consider worth changing. That way i may not be as "l33t" as people using vi or nano, but i sure as hell get it done faster (read: make money faster)

OBS: I'm not trying to start a debate

I tried Aptana, but it is a bit difficult to start. So I failed. What can Aptana do? Maybe it doesn't worth to struggle with it? It is huge. I don't understand why it contains the whole JRE and needs Mozilla. I like Emacs. It is pretty fast and plain. There are two modes available for Emacs to edit XHTM, though not quite official.
As for Dreamweaver, it is for Windows and Mac only. Has anybody tried to run Dreamweaver under wine? Though there's no need for that, I guess.
Blyiss

Postby javahaxxor » 2007-03-03 11:39

Aptana is mostly used for front-end development (according to our front-end guys), because it features code completion in javascript, and if i'm not mistaken in XSLT / XSL and CSS. It's not a WYSIWYG editor. If you already have Eclipse installed, it's a good choice, because it integrates well, but as a standalone download, i see your point. You have to set up Java, download a huge tarball, make a thousand settings and so on.
javahaxxor

Postby Blyiss » 2007-03-04 07:05

javahaxxor wrote:Aptana is mostly used for front-end development (according to our front-end guys), because it features code completion in javascript, and if i'm not mistaken in XSLT / XSL and CSS. It's not a WYSIWYG editor. If you already have Eclipse installed, it's a good choice, because it integrates well, but as a standalone download, i see your point. You have to set up Java, download a huge tarball, make a thousand settings and so on.

OK, it seems that both standalone Aptana and Aptana Eclipse plugin are not compatible with Debian . It needs libswt-mozilla-gtk-3236.so. I have no idea where to get it. Are you sure you are running Debian at your work? Can you describe what exactly Aptana can do? Maybe it is not better that Quanta+ and doesn't worth time spent on it
Blyiss

Postby simen » 2007-03-06 23:43

Emacs for everything (just because I know it for more than 10 years; I guess I'd be put off if introduced to it today (just like vi sends a chill down my spine)). My html needs are basic enough that emacs is sufficient. Syntax highlighting in my favorite editor, what more can I ask? With python-mode installed, emacs is a very nice editor for python, complete with a python shell, autoindentation of code etc.

Regards,
--Simen
simen

Postby nasty canasta » 2007-03-07 00:05

ditto simen :D

I also find the tei-emacs package very useful

http://www.tei-c.org/Software/tei-emacs/

nc
nasty canasta

Postby Blyiss » 2007-03-07 01:06

simen wrote:Emacs for everything (just because I know it for more than 10 years; I guess I'd be put off if introduced to it today (just like vi sends a chill down my spine)). My html needs are basic enough that emacs is sufficient. Syntax highlighting in my favorite editor, what more can I ask? With python-mode installed, emacs is a very nice editor for python, complete with a python shell, autoindentation of code etc.

Regards,
--Simen

That's right! we don't need millions of buttons which only distract. And actually there exist not a lot of html / xhtml tags. All we need is just not to mess up while editing. There's a nice nxhtml mode for xhtml. Unfortunately it works only in Emacs-22. Luckily Emacs-22 is freely available.
Blyiss

Postby Lavene » 2007-03-07 06:15

simen wrote:Emacs for everything <snip snip>
With python-mode installed, emacs is a very nice editor for python, complete with a python shell, autoindentation of code etc.

Regards,
--Simen

Kinda like Kate... ;)

(Not attacking Emacs... just showing off my all time favorite editor.)

Tina
Lavene
Site admin

Postby kristof_v » 2007-03-07 09:54

I use SciTE for simple scripts in an X session, or vim without an X session
for more complex projects I prefer an IDE like Eclipse
kristof_v

PreviousNext

Return to Programming