Who what editor uses?

Need help with C, C++, perl, python, etc?

Postby Blyiss » 2007-03-07 16:33

It's surprising that almost nobody uses emacs. Emacs has a lot of features like displaying images and being a MUA and terminal. Besides emacs is a console editor as well. The guys who use x-windows editors have to study a separate editor for x and a separate editor for console, that is not very convenient. Kate is a wonderful editor but it runs under KDE. If someone likes Kate, he/she has to like KDE too, since it is unpractical to run KDE applications, for example, in Gnome. I won't describe why, I hope people will understand. Besides, some programs like mutt, MUA, and XNC, a russian file manager which is made for x and resembles norton commander and FAR file manager (an excellent console file manager, much nicer than midnight commander, but unfortunately unavailable for Linux) and is very nice, much nicer than gentoo or even gnome-commander, and many more allow to use a console editor embedded. That's why the knowledge of emacs is very useful. Emacs expends its capabilities by modes that are available for any occasion and which provide additional features like syntax highlighting, Tab-completion and many more for many languages . And under these circumstances emacs becomes an universal editor suitable for everything
Blyiss

Postby Lavene » 2007-03-07 16:58

In my case it's just that I do pretty much everything in KDE and I write Python apps for KDE. So I need my editor to edit text files. I have never needed to view images, send e-mail or chat on IRC inside my editor and I don't want that stuff inside my editor. Also all my documentation is either online or stored locally on my hd, mostly in HTML so I need a capable browser in my environment (and text based browser don't really cut it).

My editing needs in a console is 99.9% simple editing of config files where 'nano' is simple and super fast.

Programming is just a hobby and X/KDE/Kate plus tools like QT Designer simply suits me. I have tried Emacs on for size a few times but I just don't like it (Look... did RMS hair just burst into flames?)

Maybe if I needed to churn out thousands of lines of code every day things would be different but alas... I don't ;)

Tina
Lavene
Site admin

Postby _FOCUS_ » 2007-03-09 09:10

Blyiss wrote:It's surprising that almost nobody uses emacs. Emacs has a lot of features like displaying images and being a MUA and terminal. Besides emacs is a console editor as well. The guys who use x-windows editors have to study a separate editor for x and a separate editor for console, that is not very convenient. Kate is a wonderful editor but it runs under KDE. If someone likes Kate, he/she has to like KDE too, since it is unpractical to run KDE applications, for example, in Gnome. I won't describe why, I hope people will understand. Besides, some programs like mutt, MUA, and XNC, a russian file manager which is made for x and resembles norton commander and FAR file manager (an excellent console file manager, much nicer than midnight commander, but unfortunately unavailable for Linux) and is very nice, much nicer than gentoo or even gnome-commander, and many more allow to use a console editor embedded. That's why the knowledge of emacs is very useful. Emacs expends its capabilities by modes that are available for any occasion and which provide additional features like syntax highlighting, Tab-completion and many more for many languages . And under these circumstances emacs becomes an universal editor suitable for everything

Well I am going to try emacs this evening. I am working on python at the moment. I am new with it. And I am using kate or kwrite in Gnome. Gnome good for me. I like it. Yes some icons of Gnome are realy bad. But I like Gnome. I am feeling with it I am using linux , debian .

In fact I only looked how looks emacs then closed. It is very wrong act in every condition. Your comment looks like very logical and my act is fallacy. I am writing codes on kwrite than I am turning gnome konsole to run my program.py. İf there is some editor contain konsole why I am not using that. You are right.
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.
_FOCUS_

Previous

Return to Programming