Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Etch: Which JVM for eclipse??

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
bofh666

Etch: Which JVM for eclipse??

#1 Post by bofh666 »

Hi,

I've just installed eclipse (like to use it as an IDE for Perl and PHP development, and maybe C/C++), but at the moment, it's a little bit to slow and the CPU-Load is also sometimes a bit high.
I've tried kaffe and java-gcj, and at work I've installed the SUN JDK. It seems that GCJ is a bit faster, and SUN JDK is the fastest, but I'm interested to know what JVM others use? Is it wise to use the original JDK from SUN, or what do you recommend?
My HW-config:

AMD 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Debian Etch

Thanks,

and have a nice hackin'

Harald

Blyiss

#2 Post by Blyiss »

I use Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-beta2-b86).
On Linux debian 2.6.18-3-486 #1 Mon Dec 4 15:59:52 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux.
And I'm happy.

swirling_vortex

#3 Post by swirling_vortex »

If you're serious about programming in java, then yes, stick with Sun's jdk. GCJ can't do everything Sun's java does.

I think your cpu related issues are more of a problem with eclipse (which does take a large amount of resources). Try Netbeans using Sun's java (works with sun-java5-jdk from testing or sun-java6-jdk from unstable).

begatelles

#4 Post by begatelles »

There's also classpath that you can use for the java libraries (if you write in java that is) but now that java is open source you can use jdk libraries without worries I would assume. :?

I can't remember what I was using with eclipse but I did use it for some time on a few java programs I wrote a while back. I think java vm or cacao but I can't remember on which one I settled. Initialy I had GCJ though. To get eclipse to work with cacao I had to create a directory in my home and place a symlink in there of the cacao executable in /usr/bin and name it java. Then I would use that one for when configuring a new virtual machine with eclipse. Can't remember details. It was a pretty slow IDE though.

bofh666

#5 Post by bofh666 »

Hi,

and thanks for the replies - it seems the SUN JVM is really the best choice. Yesterday, I had time to do some *real* work in Eclipse and write some Perl code, and, it's real okay. Nice IDE, nice features, good debug capabilities, etc.
I think I've found my IDE, :-)

Keep on hackin',

bofh666

javahaxxor

#6 Post by javahaxxor »

I agree, stick to Sun's JDK, and switch to Netbeans, Eclipse still has a few problems which can irritate the newbie (i personally have gotten used to eclipse crashing and see it as an invitation to take a break)

java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)
running Debian testing