Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Python packages

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
voltron

Installing Python packages

#1 Post by voltron »

Some widely used Python packages already available in the Debian repositories, but much more — not. I know that I can install Python packages using pip, but is this correct approach in Debian? Maybe there is another, more correct in terms of Debian system maintenance, way?

peter_irich

Re: Installing Python packages

#2 Post by peter_irich »

I don't know what is pip. I use apt-get for packages installing.
If you would like GUI and see all packages together, use synaptic.

Peter.

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

You can easily install and uninstall via pip. Of course, if the package is in the repo and the vesion is usable, I'd use the repo. AFAIK pip will automatically install only Python dependencies. So in that case you need to check the package webpage (or other source) to know what it requires (outside of Python).

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

The package may also be in the repo, just not under the name you're expecting. python-numpy is one that comes to mind.
MX Linux packager and developer

freshdogofbelair

#5 Post by freshdogofbelair »

I would never recommend installing python packages globally. You should always install them in a virtual environment (a modified path). You want to keep your python dependencies versioned between python projects.