Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Code::Blocks IDE

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
petr4

Code::Blocks IDE

#1 Post by petr4 »

I am about to start learning C++ and have been advised to use the Code::Blocks IDE but i can't find it under Programming at the Debian software portal. I have checked in Synaptic for the g++ compiler and it is available so now i just need the ide. I'm running Jessie 8.3. Could someone help me please. Thanks

GarryRicketson

Re: Code::Blocks IDE

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Where can I get a Code::Blocks IDE for Debian 8

https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/codeblocks

That was hard wasn't it ?
and your welcome.

Note: I am assuming you all ready know how to add the backports to your /etc/apt/sources.list and all that , in relation to installing packages,etc.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

At the risk of seeming to "pile on," here's a thread from just a month ago that asked this exact same question and ultimately got the exact same answer: [SOLVED] Installing CODEBLOCKS IDE on jessie 64-bit

And here's another: unable to install code::blocks jessie

It is left as an exercise to the OP to determine precisely how many existing threads address his/her question.

Obligatory link to what we expect you have already done

petr4

#4 Post by petr4 »

I only started using Debian Jessie 8.3 this morning. I just wanted to make sure that i could install Code::Blocks prior to installing the OS. I just wanted a little help and not sarcastic comments "that was hard wasn't it?". Still unclear what exactly to click on but i'll get there in the end. Cheers

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

petr4 wrote:I only started using Debian Jessie 8.3 this morning.
Ah yes, the infamous, "As a newb, I don't have to put forth the slightest effort on my own behalf. It's up to others to retype existing answers just for me." :roll:

I think you will find that folks here are really very helpful if you are even slightly respectful of their time. But if you insist on asking questions that have already been answered in an existing thread (or, in this case, multiple existing threads), without even a little bit of effort on your part, then you are much more likely to receive answers that you find objectionable.

Then too, GarryR was kind enough to spoonfeed you the answer--and you're complaining about the spoon?? WFW.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

Bah,
I just wanted a little help and not sarcastic comments "that was hard wasn't it?". Still unclear what exactly to click on but i'll get there in the end. Cheers
It was kind of hard, the correct link for Jessie, was the 7th or 8th one down, on the search results, so that is why I posted the exact link,..
Still unclear what exactly to click
My apology, I should have been more clear:

CLICK THIS LINK BELOW
https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/codeblocks

I could not find anything in the repos for Jessie (Debian 8 ) but there is the package in jessie-backports. Yea, so it was kind of hard for me, to take the time and do all that for you, and I mentioned the need to edit your sources.list file, so you can install the package easily, or you can just download it, whatever,..I said I assume you know about that, that is why I did not go into explaing that as well, but would have if you asked, or somebody else would.
No where was I trying to being sarcastic, I wasted my time trying to help, now I am going to be "sarcastic", Sorry I tried to help , go do your own searches, and figure it out your self,. And I promise I won't try to help you any more.

petr4

#7 Post by petr4 »

Me and my big mouth. Sorry Garry

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

No problem,
Do you understand and know how to add the line you need in your
/etc/apt/sources.list ?
If you just down load it, you can also use the "Gdebi Package Installer", to open the file and install.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 05#p592336

Some people make a separate file called "sources.list.d" but that is not really necessary.

Code: Select all

man sources.list
You would need to add this line to your sources.list,

deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-backports main 
and run :

apt-get update
then

apt-get install codeblocks
The commands do need to be run as root:

$ su
password: (enter your passwrd)
# apt-get install codeblocks

If you use "synaptic package manager", you use "reload package information" instead of apt-get update. Then "code blocks" should be listed, as a available package.