Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cannot install Mono Develop on Debian

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
dasein

Re: Cannot install Mono Develop on Debian

#16 Post by dasein »

tomazzi wrote:Dasein, (aka "The One" - from german)
Nope, sorry.

(Sorry for the hijack. Done here.)

johnyjj2

#17 Post by johnyjj2 »

Hi, thanks for all your replies :).

First short digression

I didn't expect flame from one of the users but fortunately I maintain some distance from myself, if that's the correct phrase in English ;p

If you are interested why my last post was seven years ago here, I have started by trying some different Linux distributions, I think I had some troubles with installing Debian or basic configuration (things like not being able to install wifi drivers or similar) so I've tried Ubuntu and just stayed with it, and was reasonably happy with that. My main machine for work was and is Windows. I use Linux at home mostly for using internet so it's rather basic usage. And now I wanted to try again Debian.

To be honest, I have impression that the most basic things in any Linux distribution are much more complicated than with Windows, and amount of unexpected errors I have in any Linux is much higher than in Windows, what kind of discourages me from Linux. But on the other hand security and privacy in Windows is something I'm not hapy with, that's why I have Linux at home. In Linux things rarely work out of the box, as with Windows.

And I have some surprising issues connected with not knowing Linux philosophy. For example I could never understand why vim or vi require pressing i to start typing and escape, colon, w, q, enter to save. My impression is that pressing x and choosing save is easier way ;p, as in notepad. Or after installing Ubuntu, why updates don't work after short time of using computer (I mean, no more space on boot because installer by default allocated very small amount of disk memory, even if it had really much disk space, and updates cannot even suggest any automated way to clean). With Debian I also made mistake about letting it automatically create partitions with splitting them into more than one. I have some other errors. My point is that any predefined things in any Linux I was working with, did not work at all or had very serious limitations. And simple tasks are unnecessarily complicated. Maybe it's just my personal impression, but I found Windows much more convenient.

Or another example, in Windows if I want to install software, I double click exe, press next, next, next, finish and that's it. Even in case of complex software like Visual Studio. If I need to change something, I can do it later, but things work out-of-the-box. With Linux it's often more difficult to install software. Or if I have error, in Win I see some message box with red icon. In Linux terminal I have very lengthy output where any error or failure is not even marked with red font.

So I decided to learn things about Linux only whenever I have to or have some time to do something else than development on Windows.

And the Android app, I just want it to start every 15 minutes, check my current ip, download file from the given external location, upload something, measure download and upload, measure latency by pinging something and save statistics to file. That's all, just in any way, the simpler the better.

What exactly do you mean, Dasein, by fundamental shift in thinking and attitude? My current attitude is to focus on learning things that I use every day (understanding better, improving knowledge and skills) and using as little effort as I can (but accomplishing what I want to do) with things that are much less frequently used by me. Because unfortunately I don't have unlimited time.

And then solution (in case someone in the future needs it).

Or workaround if you prefer to call it that way. I have just added Debian Wheezy repositories to sources.list, updated repository with sudo apt-get update and then I was able to install libjpeg8 (which for some reason is not present in current Debian version). After that mono was installed without any issues.

And again thank you for all your advises and help :).

tomazzi

#18 Post by tomazzi »

johnyjj2 wrote:To be honest, I have impression that the most basic things in any Linux distribution are much more complicated than with Windows
To be honest, over 10 years ago I've discovered that linux-based systems are just a heaven for programmers - and because Your experiences are so different, I would like to hear where is Your problem... (but it was already solved in this topic... - hmm...)
johnyjj2 wrote:For example I could never understand why vim or vi require pressing i to start typing and escape, colon, w, q, enter to save (...)
This time I'm fully agree with You - the vi/vim are a horrible programs, which for unknown reasons are treated as a "holy graals" of all of unix/linux distributions - in fact those editors are old, and extremely inconvenient - just a shadows of the past... - use the nano editor ;)
johnyjj2 wrote:Or another example, in Windows if I want to install software, I double click exe, press next, next, next, finish and that's it.
This time You're stupid - without reading the EULA You're sentencing Yourself to install a crappy software which will make a harm to Your system sooner or later - definitely it's not just clicking "next, next" - unless You're willng (or just don't give a crap about) to give Your private data to a 3rd-party companies ;)

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

GarryRicketson

#19 Post by GarryRicketson »

johnyjj2 wrote: I have impression that the most basic things in any Linux distribution are much more complicated than with Windows
Actually it is in reverse, to start with, it is almost impossible to find the command prompt on windows, then when I type in a simple command like:

Code: Select all

cd /etc/apt 

It does not even work, so I check "help", and do some searches, those idiots at MS, they made every thing bass ackward, they use the "/ " backwards, and use " \ " instead,
besides that the "ls" command does not work , so even the most basic things in windows, are much more complicated then in Linux.
"ls" is a little more easy and only 2 letters, as compare to "dir", but one can do so much more with "ls", then the "dir" command on Dos, which is the windows command line.
I don't know who told you or where you get the impression Linux is more complicated, it isn't, Linux simplifies everything in a way that makes it a user friendly OS.
Windows does everything it can to make the command line in accessible, and hide everything behind weird looking little pictures, that look like Egyptian hieroglyphics,
and besides that the things that can be done with those is extremely limited.
One can not even do the most basic things, with a windows program, Windows is not even a real OS, it needs DOS to run it.
As far as "vi" goes, I to agree, it is hard to get used to that, but "edlin" was worse,
Free Dos is not bad, and the "dos editor" is nice, but those backward slashes all ways have annoyed me.
Linux does not restrict anyone to just using "vi", Debian 1.1 had a real nice editor,
called Debian 1.1 had a real nice editor,
called "ae"
also known as "ed" "ed"
I suppose though after all said and done, it is mostly a matter of which OS one is more used to, that would seem like the more simple one. I never considered Windows as a real OS, it is just a very complicated and very poorly written program, designed to make a few things easier for people that only need to do a few simple tasks on a computer. But ends up complicating everything so much, it becomes use less to people like me,
I need things to be very simple.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2016-02-24 01:04, edited 2 times in total.

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

Or another example, in Windows if I want to install software, I double click exe, press next, next, next, finish and that's it. Even in case of complex software like Visual Studio. If I need to change something, I can do it later, but things work out-of-the-box. With Linux it's often more difficult to install software. Or if I have error, in Win I see some message box with red icon. In Linux terminal I have very lengthy output where any error or failure is not even marked with red font.
That's an example of what you need to change in your thinking. In Debian, just install the mono-devel package from the repository. Done.

GNU/Linux is not a free and open source version of Windows; it was never meant to be that. Maybe giving this a read would clear things up.
MX Linux packager and developer

debianuser3325

#21 Post by debianuser3325 »

stevepusser wrote:
GNU/Linux is not a free and open source version of Windows; it was never meant to be that. Maybe giving this a read would clear things up.
I admit I've been using Debian and Ubuntu for roughly a year on servers and a few months on desktop, but I've always hated vi and vim. Especially, since it's the default on centos 6.

I had a laugh when that link said it's not unheard of noobs rebooting computers to exit out of vim, hahaha. I've did the same with a centos 6 VM 2 weeks ago. But I've finally managed to search around, then there you go. I for insert, :wq and :q! for saving and exiting.

This part:

Code: Select all

In the Linux world, however, this is not so much the case: Projects frequently start out as one man's toy. He does everything himself, and therefore the interface has no need of any kind of "user friendly" features: The user knows everything there is to know about the software, he doesn't need help. Vi is a good example of software deliberately created for a user who already knows how it works: It's not unheard of for new users to reboot their computers because they couldn't figure out how else to get out of vi.
No one knows what’s next, but everybody does it.

BowCatShot

#22 Post by BowCatShot »

"- and You, Dasein, (aka "The One" - from german) should rethink Your reasons to waste Your time here... "

Right on, bro.

tomazzi

#23 Post by tomazzi »

... since I'm not sure what is the context of Your response, I suggest to watch the latest videos from Boston Dynamics... ;)
Odi profanum vulgus

dasein

#24 Post by dasein »

johnyjj2 wrote:And then solution (in case someone in the future needs it).

Or workaround if you prefer to call it that way. I have just added Debian Wheezy repositories to sources.list...
(Emphasis added)

Not a "solution" to anything. (QED)

You would be wise to remove the Wheezy repos immediately.