Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

libpng-dev and libpng12-dev conflict

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
xkos

libpng-dev and libpng12-dev conflict

#1 Post by xkos »

i need to install libgtk-3-dev, but it tell me:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libpng12-dev libpng12-dev:i386
package libpng-dev will be install when install the libgtk-3-dev, but package libpng-dev and libpng12-dev are in conflict.

How to deal with this?

stevepusser

Re: libpng-dev and libpng12-dev conflict

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Libpng-dev is a "virtual package" which is provided by libpng12-dev in Debian Jessie. Since you have them conflicting, this is a symptom of a sick or broken system, usually caused by adding incompatible packages/repositories. This may be different in development versions of Debian.

Could you install inxi and report the output of "inxi -r", which will report what your software sources are?
MX Linux packager and developer

xkos

#3 Post by xkos »

i install inxi and it show:
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib

Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list
deb http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb/ stable main
only three repos, two browsers, and a kali rolling repo
anything broken?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

I'll break this gently: though Kali may have a Debian base, it's not Debian Jessie, especially not rolling Kali. Similarly, Italian and French both sprang from the Latin language, but now they are quite different.

I don't expect anyone can solve your issue here; usually you're referred to the Kali forums, which don't turn out to be much help.

But I don't understand your problem, anyway. If you need libgtk-3-dev, and it needs only libpng-dev and removes libpng12-dev, what's the issue? There's a lot of -dev packages that you can't have installed at the same time.

xkos

#5 Post by xkos »

i removed libpng12-dev before, and install libpng-dev, when i open php-fpm, it was error:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0: version `PNG12_0' not found (required by /usr/local/sbin/php-fpm)

xkos

#6 Post by xkos »

thinks sir, i solve it,
i remove libpng12-dev and install libpng-dev, and i recomplie the php, it works.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

The -dev package does not supply the runtime library that the error message mentioned, libpng12 does that. You don't need the -dev package to install the runtime library, though the -dev requires it.

xkos

#8 Post by xkos »

en,,so,you mean, even i don't recomplie php it also can use if i install libpng12

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

xkos wrote:en,,so,you mean, even i don't recomplie php it also can use if i install libpng12
php (what php? You should stick to the repo versions unless absolutely necessary) should not need any -dev packages. It should only require the runtime versions of the libraries.

This is only what happens in Debian--I can't speak for any changes Kali may make.