Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems building latest GTK+ 3.0 from source

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
Nomid

Problems building latest GTK+ 3.0 from source

#1 Post by Nomid »

Hello, I'm running Jessie, and I'd like to develop application with the newest GTK+3.0.

However I'm finding many problems building from source the latest packages.
I downloaded the packages and tried to build them, but just 3 of them were successful (fontconfig, shared-mime-info and libepoxy).

Full list of the packages I downloaded: http://postimg.org/image/wvi0k4ic1/

I had instead issues with Mesa (egl package was required. but I decided to install the version I found in the package manager), pango (but the configs seems not to complain), gettext (some errors about diff in make phase for m4 files) and libiconv (which make phase failed), but the next packages' config phase appearantly worked without them.

The real problem comes with gobject-introspection-1.48.0 which build procedure prints this output: http://pastebin.com/Tvpfc6wM

I think the error is common since searching the Internet discovered plenty of logs with that error, but I didn't find any solution.
ATK and GTK clearly won't build yet without GLib.

How can I solve this situation?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Problems building latest GTK+ 3.0 from source

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Nomid wrote:How can I solve this situation?
Run Arch in a container (I recommend systemd-nspawn) for your development and keep your Debian system clean.
deadbang

Nomid

#3 Post by Nomid »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Nomid wrote:How can I solve this situation?
Run Arch in a container (I recommend systemd-nspawn) for your development and keep your Debian system clean.
I'm runing Debian on a USB with persistent storage, so I won't mess up my Debian in the HD.

EDIT: Anyway thank you for the answer.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Nomid wrote:Why should I run ArchLinux?
Just my personal opinion -- it's simpler to manage than Debian testing/unstable and has newer packages as well, seems ideal for development with the latest toolkits.
deadbang

Nomid

#5 Post by Nomid »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Nomid wrote:Why should I run ArchLinux?
Just my personal opinion -- it's simpler to manage than Debian testing/unstable and has newer packages as well, seems ideal for development with the latest toolkits.
I'll give it a try.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

If you want Debian style packages, try backporting from upstream Debian's source packages. If you can't find GTK 3.20 there, look in Ubuntu or maybe a PPA.

BTW, if you need a newer mesa, 11.1 is in jessie-backports.
MX Linux packager and developer