Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Issue running a program from sourcecode.

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
militarymaid

Issue running a program from sourcecode.

#1 Post by militarymaid »

I am working in my internship with a code that we bought from UArizona though compiling it is living hell. I link the makefile.in file but everytime I try to run the program it shows me the following

Code: Select all

make[1]: Entering directory '/home/media/U-Arizona/compiled/lit1.1-2-hdf5/src'
mpicc -c -O3  -DNOHDF -I. -c metis_c.c -o metis_c.o
metis_c.c:3:18: fatal error: metis.h: No such file or directory
 #include<metis.h>
                  ^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:52: recipe for target 'metis_c.o' failed
make[1]: *** [metis_c.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/media/U-Arizona/compiled/lit1.1-2-hdf5/src'
Makefile:31: recipe for target 'opt' failed
make: *** [opt] Error 2
The readme file says that to run it I have to run the command "make opt" though this error shows every time... I realized metis is a program but even after installing it it hasn't run... I am new at compiling heavy codes (so far I had only programmed in fortran90 but this thing mixes bits of phython and c++ so compiling this is completely alien to me).
PD: I forgot to add.. I am running Debian Jessie in a Lenovo g50-45 if this is a hardware issue.

day

Re: Issue running a program from sourcecode.

#2 Post by day »

apt-file search metis.h

tomazzi

#3 Post by tomazzi »

Judging by the header name (metis.h), this file should be delivered as a part of the "package" - so I suppose that it exists in the source tree.

Actually, since this program is apparently using autotools, the most important (and in fact crucial) informations can be found in configure.ac and makefile.am

I assume that You do understand how to build software using autotools' configure script(s)...

In any case, there should be a file called "config.log" - which contains all the informations explaining why the build process could possibly fail...

If it's a stripped version of the project - that is, there are no .ac and .am files, then it would mean that the UArizona doesn't play fair with You...

Regards.

Edit:
@day: you could be probably right, but the script tries to compile metis_c.c, which means that it already uses non-default metis version

Regards (2)
Last edited by tomazzi on 2016-07-20 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Odi profanum vulgus

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

militarymaid wrote:metis_c.c:3:18: fatal error: metis.h: No such file or directory
#include<metis.h>
^
compilation terminated.
Some preprocessors like quotes on user headers, if the file is present, try

#include "metis.h"
There might be a way to tweak this on compilation with a directive, but I don't do much C anymore
Last edited by bw123 on 2016-07-20 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

militarymaid

#5 Post by militarymaid »

So it is the issue I imagined, the file is there though the program wants to find it in Uarizona's server. Thanks for the help I have to make some corrections then.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#6 Post by arochester »

? apt-cache ?
apt-cache search metis.h