Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Partially SOLVED] How to use gcc 6 on Debian Jessie

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
Herumor

[Partially SOLVED] How to use gcc 6 on Debian Jessie

#1 Post by Herumor »

WORKING in a namespace container with the debian/sid distribution (but doesn't "properly" use X and graphics and file trasnfers are not easy) -> THANK YOU
Hello,
I've tried to compile the following package :
Paquet gcc-6-source :
i 6.1.1-11 testing 750
p 6.2.0-4 unstable 50
I've had errors during the debian/rules build process :
Stage 1
05-stamp
errors with gcc-6-6.1.1/build/libbacktrace/conftest.c

Did you find any way to get gcc-6 working in the stable release?
I would like to get the recent improvements in C++.

Thanks for your help.

My system : Debian Jessie x86-64
Last edited by Herumor on 2016-10-01 06:50, edited 4 times in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How to build gcc 6 on Debian Jessie

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

If you just want a build environment then try a testing/unstable container, I find systemd-nspawn the easiest to set up.

General method here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=129390

You don't need to run stuff in the X server so it should be a bit simpler than that for you ;)
deadbang

tomazzi

#3 Post by tomazzi »

Herumor wrote:I would like to get the recent improvements in C++.
Just out of pure curiosity - what improvements do You want to get?
I'm asking this question for 2 reasons:
1) clib (gnulibc) is almost just as important as the OS kernel, so *any* changes not *tested* on the target OS can lead to unpredictable problems.
2) since *all* of the already installed software have been compiled (this also means: verified/tested) against a distro-spacific version of a glibc (clib), then, by changing this library system-wide, basically You are invalidating *all* the test that the distro-specific software have passed - which basically means about *everything*

However: glibc is a serious project, which is unlikely to break anything, including security - but the problem is in the word "unlikely" ...

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

Herumor

#4 Post by Herumor »

Hello,

@Head_on_a_Stick -> thank you for your answer. I will try systemd-nspawn and debootstrap (this method is running well at the moment). Do you know about performances (processors + RAM) ?
--> performances are rather good.

@tomazzi -> that link will tell you the "huge number of improvements in GCC 6" : https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-6/changes.html.
I'm insterested in getfem++ (>= 5.1) and its matlab-interface, which is not in the default building process. It has to be build with "--enable-matlab", a path to one of his function and with the libstdc++6 (>= 5.2) library.

Unfortunately, Matlab isn't installed in the "namespace container generated with systemd-nspawn".

Regards.
Last edited by Herumor on 2016-10-01 06:47, edited 2 times in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Herumor wrote:Do you know about performances (processors + RAM) ?
The performance is native, there are no overheads for a container beyond those required to run the separate userspace instance.

Have a look at LXC as well, that may be even easier for you to set up if you don't need an external internet connection in the container and has the advantage of offering unprivileged containers.

https://wiki.debian.org/LXC
deadbang