Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Securely Installing Brackets [SOLVED] -OR- Alternate Editor

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
cuchumino

Securely Installing Brackets [SOLVED] -OR- Alternate Editor

#1 Post by cuchumino »

Hello all!

Am interested in using Brackets on Debian because a web dev program that I am using currently "strongly suggests" it. However I know there is an old dependency that the .deb package requires from debian. Specifically libgcrypt11, and currently all my systems use Jessie.

I've read that people have installed the old wheezy package in order to satisfy. This doesn't sound right as it sounds like a bad idea from a security and OS stability stand point as this is old, outdated, and receives no security updates.

That being said, does anyone use Brackets on Debian Jessie, and if so, how did they *securely* install it without adding an old dependency?
Last edited by cuchumino on 2016-11-15 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

cuchumino

Re: Securely Installing Brackets [SOLVED] -OR- Alternate Edi

#2 Post by cuchumino »

I ended up solving this. Although not sure if this is the most secure way, it is much better than adding the old package and having it available systemwide.

I used these resources.

https://brbsix.github.io/2015/10/29/fix ... xt-editor/

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... repack-deb

Broad Strokes: I read that this was an issue with other programs as well. Adobe can't include the libgcrypt11 dep from what I could gather was a licensing issue?

I saw that someone created a script to unpackage, edit the debian dependency, add the libgcrypt11 file to the file system in /opt/brackets, then repackage it.

I didn't want to use a script that someone had wrote, or audit it myself, so I searched how to unpack, and repack a deb file.

Learned something new, have a new tool in toolkit, and fixed a problem. :)

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

I wonder if the Atom text editor from github would be a good alternative.
MX Linux packager and developer

cuchumino

#4 Post by cuchumino »

stevepusser wrote:I wonder if the Atom text editor from github would be a good alternative.
In my search for an answer to the original question, saw that Atom also ran into a problem similar to the one that brackets had when installing a deb package. Not sure if they fixed it or not by adding the dependency in a local environment, or if they just upgraded the dependency to be in line with libgcrypt20.

I did install it just now and it did work without having to do any kind of juggling/unpack/repack. Might give it a shot if it allows a similar experience.

I just didn't know that Atom was an editor. Thanks for the tip! :)