Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Etch install: now linker (ld) can't find libs..[SOLVED]

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
hkoster1

New Etch install: now linker (ld) can't find libs..[SOLVED]

#1 Post by hkoster1 »

I've done a fresh install of Etch Beta that I've upgraded every day. Trying to compile some Fortran programmes that use the Blas and LaPack libraries, only to get the complaint
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblas
and similar when trying to link to other libraries. But these libraries are right there in the default path, i.e. /usr/lib/libblas.so.3 etc.

I've run "ldconfig -v", and those libraries are listed in the output, but still the linker complains about not being able to find them. I've tried setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib, but that didn't help either.

I do note, however, that /etc/ld.so.conf includes /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i486-linux-gnu.conf, which in turn refers to the empty /usr/lib/i486-linux-gnu directory. I don't know whether or not this holds any significance.

Would anyone know how I can get the linker to find these libraries in the default locations?

hkoster1

#2 Post by hkoster1 »

Answering my own question... I installed out of desperation also the *static* versions of the Blas/LaPack libs (and of g2c as well), and now the linker finds the libraries. Oh well...

Yet, this is a curious state of affairs, as the man-page of ld clearly says that it will first search for static libraries (.a) in the usual places and, if it can't find what it is looking for, will then look for shared versions (.so) in those same places. Did I miss something, I wonder?