Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Android Studio: Running application not working

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
tavkomann

Android Studio: Running application not working

#1 Post by tavkomann »

Yesterday I downloaded Android Studio for my Debian Testing system. I wanted to run a HelloWorld application (just a blank activity) but weren't able to run it. With adb I can install it without having any problems.

However, if I try to do it with Android Studio, it gets stuck on 'Installing APKs'. The same happens when I try to start it in an emulator (gets stuck on 'Waiting for target device to come online').

My device is a Samsung Galaxy S3 with LineageOS (Android 7.1.2) and root permissions. Android Studio recognizes my phone properly.

What I've already done:
  • installed with openjdk
  • installed with oracle jdk
  • set android_home
  • installed all the SDK-platforms since Android 4.3 and Android Emulator from SDK tool
  • installed everything from SDK tool
  • enabled USB-debugging
  • tried with MTP and PTP
  • tried another emulated phone
  • installed lib32stdc++6
  • restarted my computer
  • created new blank activity
  • reinstalled everything: JDK, Android SDK and Android Studio
  • and probably much more
I do not get any error.

Today I managed to have the emulator start by setting graphics to software but it just shows a black screen and doesn't power on.

I tried to do it until now and couldn't find a solution. I have never experienced anything close to this on other systems.

I really would like to get it running on Debian because I do not want to install Windows for this. I remember that I was able to run it on LMDE2 some time ago. So why doesn't it work on Debian Testing now? Did I forget something?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:
I am now able to use my phone to run the android application by using USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0! Is that a normal behavior since it works with native adb? I mean, if I buy a new PC after some years which has got only USB 3.0 ports, will I not be able to use phone debugging with Android Studio or is this just an issue? It is still known since 2014 (https://stackoverflow.com/a/9548311/8292104).

However, I still cannot get the app running on an ADV. I changed graphics to software, now it shows the phone but the screen remains black and the phone won't start. What can I do to fix it?
Last edited by tavkomann on 2017-07-12 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

acewiza

Re: Android Studio: Running application not working

#2 Post by acewiza »

Anything in the log(s)? dmesg might show some useful diagnostics.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

tavkomann

Re: Android Studio: Running application not working

#3 Post by tavkomann »

dmesg:

Code: Select all

[ 4141.584618] kvm: zapping shadow pages for mmio generation wraparound
[ 4141.587721] kvm: zapping shadow pages for mmio generation wraparound
[ 4193.875253] traps: MainLoopThread[4812] general protection ip:7f5983eef295 sp:7f59826c67a0 error:0
[ 4193.875258]  in libQt5XcbQpa.so.5[7f5983e0a000+1e6000]