Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Introduction to Programming

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
n0ct1s.deb

Introduction to Programming

#1 Post by n0ct1s.deb »

Hi, I would like to start programming because I love Linux and computers world. I don't know where to start, please help me :)

pylkko

Re: Introduction to Programming

#2 Post by pylkko »

In my opinion, Python is a good language to begin to understand basic concepts like loops, conditional statements, writing to files, getting user input and eventually graphical interfaces and object oriented programming.

Here is a guide:
https://www.learnpython.org

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

pawRoot

#4 Post by pawRoot »

I would go with C# or Javascript, as this is the future imo 8)

I have started with C# some time ago and love it, you can set the .net framework on linux pretty easily:
https://www.microsoft.com/net/core

I would also recommend Visual Studio Code with C# plugin, it's also super easy to setup:
https://code.visualstudio.com/

C++ or C might be better choice though if you want to code stricte for Linux.

n_hologram

#5 Post by n_hologram »

pawRoot wrote:C#...is the future imo 8)
I've never heard this before. Why do you think this?

I recommend Python if you're getting into the rhythm of programming, and because the libraries are so broad, you can jump into some fun projects; selenium, for instance, is pretty neat. I've been told that plain-ol' C will give you a solid foundation for programming, so that might not be a bad idea, either.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

pawRoot

#6 Post by pawRoot »

n_hologram wrote:
pawRoot wrote:C#...is the future imo 8)
I've never heard this before. Why do you think this?

I recommend Python if you're getting into the rhythm of programming, and because the libraries are so broad, you can jump into some fun projects; selenium, for instance, is pretty neat. I've been told that plain-ol' C will give you a solid foundation for programming, so that might not be a bad idea, either.
Javascript is getting more and more popular, with more frameworks etc, you can do multiplatform apps easily (at performance cost though), and web is the future, i believe in future people will be running programs through browser like Chrome without installing anything (you can already do cool apps that work through browser).

And C# is amazing choice since you can also do multiplatform stuff, backend for web, mobile apps, game development, also if you know C# it's easy to learn Java, and if you know these languages it's really easy to get a job if you want to.

Languages like Python are nice but used mostly for stuff like data science.

pylkko

#7 Post by pylkko »

Yes. I agree. Not only is JavaScript used in more and more , but given that you basically only need a browser to render it and a text editor to write it, setting up a (basic) working environment is quite easy. Also, I believe that MIT moved their basic programming course to JavaScript last year.

I still think that Python is another good choice, because I feel that the learning curve is not steep, and you can do anything from scraping web pages to scientific computation, gui's, servers, object oriented stuff, procedural scripts... it is very versatile.

I also agree that if you want to eventually get a job, then other languages are more effecient than Python. However, th OP seems to be asking about learning programming for Linux personal use and not for developing professional skills. While it is true that it is used much in data science, it is also much used in Linux programs.

But if you are interested in which languages are more popular or more used, then instead of listening to people's random remarks here, you could look at actual lists/indeces

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

It is also important to notice that very much of the basic ideas in programming are shared by all languages

However, responders to this thread should note that the origianl poster did not ask for tips about what language to use, but for actual guides/tutorials.

n0ct1s.deb

#8 Post by n0ct1s.deb »

So I will try with C# and Python. I heard that Python is the future in programming because of the syntax and the libraries. Thanks guys! :D

alan stone

#9 Post by alan stone »

n0ct1s.deb wrote:Hi, I would like to start programming because I love Linux and computers world. I don't know where to start, please help me :)
If you're really serious and committed, to understand how things work, I'd say start here. EDIT: And here. Please help yourself. :wink: