Why do people and companies use more C++ than C?

Need help with C, C++, perl, python, etc?

Re: Why do people and companies use more C++ than C?

Postby larienna » 2019-05-27 02:54

I am still surprised that C++ is still the dominant language. From my point of view, I think the reason why people still use C++ is because it's object oriented and a lot of C++ code has already been made so far, so it requires maintenance. I think that C# will eventually replace C++ because at least it has a garbage collector which makes OOP less a pain.

I followed a few years ago a new class of plain C and I fall in love again with the language. All my hatred of C was in fact due to C++. Yes it is a more dangerous language because you have complete control on the the system. And you need such control for writing low level code (Drivers, OS, etc). Doing the same in C++ is possible but very risky.

An interesting quote that I found on the net was that: "C++ makes it harder to shoot yourself in the foot than with C, but when you do shoot yourself in the foot with C++, it's the whole leg that blows up"
larienna

Re: Why do people and companies use more C++ than C?

Postby giaur » 2019-07-15 19:23

Wrong question. For some tasks C performs better, C++ is reasonable for other tasks. It depends

Btw, C# will never replace C++, the same as motorcyles will never replace cars - both are used for different tasks.
giaur

Previous

Return to Programming