Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

trouble building glibc-2.24

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
alwhaley

trouble building glibc-2.24

#1 Post by alwhaley »

I needed to compile glibc in order to gdb a problem in one of the system call library stubs.
The problem is that after apt-install glibc-source (a standard package for debian 9.9), doing a
proper ../glibc-2.24/configure from a parallel build directory as required, the make runs well
for quite a while, compiling many programs, but then catches an error and produces:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target '/al/pkg/libc/glibc-build/bits/stdio_lim.st', needed by '/al/pkg/libc/glibc-build/bits/stdio_lim.h'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/al/pkg/libc/glibc-2.24/csu'
Makefile:230: recipe for target 'csu/subdir_lib' failed
make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/al/pkg/libc/glibc-2.24'

Is there any reason the debian version of glibc for this release wouldn't compile out of the box? I tried this on several machines. It's worth noting that if I download glibc-2.24 or glibc-2.30 from gnu, they compile to completion. I just happen to need to debug with the source code that matches my installed system.

thanks
Al

al@hadron:~/pkg/libc/glibc-build$ uname -a
Linux hadron.sunnyside.com 4.9.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.168-1+deb9u2 (2019-05-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux
al@hadron:~/pkg/libc/glibc-build$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9.9 (stretch)
Release: 9.9
Codename: stretch

stevepusser

Re: trouble building glibc-2.24

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Maybe Debian had to patch it to get it to build correctly. The manual method you're using won't apply the Debian patches.

I thought Debian provided debugging packages for libc6, though. Will those work instead you having to rebuild the whole schmeer?
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: trouble building glibc-2.24

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:I thought Debian provided debugging packages for libc6, though.
^ This.

https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktr ... ng_symbols
deadbang