Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Printing hello world - bloatless edition

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
Wheelerof4te

Printing hello world - bloatless edition

#1 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Drew Devault recently wrote this funny little blog post:
https://drewdevault.com/2020/01/04/Slow.html

I found it interesting how, in his intent to prove how higher-level languages introduce bloat, he forgot how many man-hours writting programs in those languages save. This one is golden:
"These numbers are real. This is more complexity that someone has to debug, more time your users are sitting there waiting for your program, less disk space available for files which actually matter to the user."

Just look at those lines in assembly just to write a simple "hello world" to a terminal. I really envy all those developers who wrote NES games. They were the real heroes of our time.

I am all for less abstractions in a language. But please, make it writable and readable first.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Printing hello world - bloatless edition

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I don't think Drew is suggesting that everybody start using assembly :)

As I read it, the article is a warning about how quickly abstractions accumulate syscalls and how easy it is to bloat out a program. It's also an advert for musl libc.
deadbang